the list of don't do's

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Please also be careful using an equaliser strap or worse chain between two snatch/recovery points. If the angle of the chain/strap is more than 90 degrees you run the risk of bending the chassis rails as the majority of the force is pulling the rails together not pulling the vehicle forward. Much safer to snatch off a single recovery point.

ditto condor22 and Taipan, I carry two, 1 for me - the rescuer and 1 for the rescuee

casper

1412652906_picture_4.png

Our new jeep has recovery points for towing and recovery.
Both front and back of the vehicle.

Extremely solid and reliable.

1413797907_image.jpg

HeadsUp said:
snatch who ?

you can guess whats happened here.

6 inches higher up and someone could have got that in the back of their head at worst , at best its the cost of windscreen and new glass

https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...9034_1385078_586826444688496_1370179353_n.jpg

A similar story here , a young guy is fighting for life after being hit with possibly a shackle or part of a snatch strap :(

http://www.skynews.com.au/news/loca...hurt-after-4wd-incident-in-sydney-s-west.html

I just use the pin from the tow hitch' and slide the strap loop up into the hitch' have for years and snapped many straps with 3m+ run ups, it's not an issue or dangerous if there's no weight on the end of the strap when it breaks.

The strap is designed to stretch and snap if overloaded, use cheep ones!
The big thick 11-12T traps are dangerous or just don't give.

The more parts you add' Shackles, tow hitch etc the more risk of something flying off.

The best strap I had and lasted years with well over 50 recoveries was a 9T Nylon miter 10 strap it may have been a Lion brand for $50, dam that thing was strechy' lifted many suzuki's up :D

As the young man was hit in the head with the shackle and although not confirmed, the tow vehicle has been alleged to have used the tow ball to locate the shackle, which allegedly broke.

If so, the strap did not break, the shackle did not give way, rather the point to which they were fixed. I would also suggest no strap dampener was used. So, all in all, bad practice looks to be the cause here, allegedly.

The tie down loops welded to the underside of modern cars are exactly that, loops to tie the vehicle down when being transported, they are not rated recovery points.

Latest posts