The 'Hunted Out" Coach Changing Station

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
1404169264_finds_30_june_14_026.jpg
Hello,

Finally had a chance to get out and detect. Been school holidays and pretty crappy weather here. Even though it was only 8 degrees for the high at least it wasn't raining.

I was looking back at some old research notes and decided to try an area that was always on my list of places to try. The site was a major inn and coach changing station from the 1840's to the later 1800's (will not give much info away as there are some in my area that will use it). I had the owners details and decided to pay him a visit. I had no problems gaining permission and heard those often repeated words, "It's been done over by a lot of people." I've heard those words many times before and was thrilled at getting a chance to see what was missed.

I will not say that my skills are better than the others that have ventured there before. I'm sure that others have made some good finds at some of my past sites. I knew the place was large in it's day and there would be something still there. The owner mentioned something that provided a clue for me. He said the original road was on the opposite side of the modern road facing the inn. So the front now (still part ruin) was the original back. About 100m away from the inn ruins I saw a small long rise. This rise bordered the old road bed (barely noticeable) and I decided to concentrate here. I thought others might have missed this great clue (hopefully!). This turned out to be where the majority of finds came from and led me to believe this was the site of the changing station. I knew these were located a short distance from the inns normally.

Finds included - 5 x coins (1863,1866 pennies, George 3rd HP (1806,07?), 1866 shilling, 1843 3 P), some nice buttons/buckle, musket rounds, boot taps, maybe toy cannon?, a great Sheffield Nickel Silver A1 spoon, horse tack) 2 x tokens (R. Parker Geelong and A.Toogood Sydney).

Good luck to all,

Dutchy (Jarhead)
1404169235_finds_30_june_14_024.jpg

Looks like that was the inn thing to do Dutchy, well done on all the exploration and recovery, excellent story and pics.
It's amazing how the finds (good or bad) help to tell the story and usually lead to more finds.

Ah Dutchy, a good lesson for all of us. Do your homework on where you intend to go and look hard for anything unusual. Great story and pics, I look forward to the next instalment.
Well Done
Mackka

A very tasty spot indeed, good to see land owners being open to detecting on their properties, some nice old coins and tokens in that lot. :)

Goldpick said:
A very tasty spot indeed, good to see land owners being open to detecting on their properties, some nice old coins and tokens in that lot. :)

Thanks, I generally don't have much trouble getting permission to hunt on private land. Over the years a few of my finds have went back to the land owners, historical societies and museums. This allowed me to get on some land when others had been refused.

Nice finds there Dutchy, I especially like the shilling. I love the design of it, simple but effective!

SF

Latest posts