The "Guilty Nugget"!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Let me tell you about a story of a moron and a
very sad man.
It all began when a friend of mine and his wife came over to Ballarat to see his new grandson all the way from West Australia.
As on other occasions when he visited, he brought his ATX Pro detector so that I could take him to one of the many gold fields not far from home for a bit of fun.
Well we arrived at our destination to an area which has not been disturbed by other prospectors other than myself and one other fellow for decade's.
We set up in no time and began our little foray.
My West Ozzie friend was really looking forward to finding his 1st Victorian nugget and was really pumped, after about 40 minutes he comes over to me with a nice little piece about 2 grams and a big smile to match.
He gave me the nugget and I said, may I put it on the ground and run my detector over it?
Of course he said.
So I did an air test and then I asked him if I could put it in the 4 inch hole and put some dirt over it?
Of course he said again.
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
That was a big mistake , after testing it in the hole I proceeded to take out the dirt but could not find the nugget.
An hour later after using both our detectors and pin pointers and removing all the soil in and around the area and putting it into a large bucket, still no luck 8.(
I decided that it was like fishing and that all I did was catching and release.
MORON!!!!!!!!!
When I got home I panned the contents of the bucket without success.
I felt terrible and really guilty about the loss of that nugget and promptly named it the " Guilty Nugget".
He's still my mate but a little sad.
The reason our detectors couldn't find it again was because of some massive interference messing with our signals.
Rest assured, I will find it again. ;)
Cheers Steve

Shoulda dug deeper and retreived that massive interference between yas. :eek:

Metamorphic said:
WTF Steve???

A 2 gramer that cant be found in a test hole??

Were you guys juiced or something?

;)

Hey there Meta,
I just can't explain how it wasn't found,
I will be back there in two days.

Hey Stoyve, you're welcome to borrow my sdc if you think that might help? Not sure what detector you're running but if you need to borrow it, and think it might help, just give us a holla. You're mate probably feels worse for you than he does about losing the nug.
If you can't find if for a few months or so does it then revert back to anybodies property ;) just kiddin there :lol:

Ridge Runner said:
Grab someone with an ALDI 8000 and get back out there.

META,, I am wondering maybe you could start an Agony Aunt Thread when we need Consoling, lolololol :D :D :D

Hehe, yeh RR, I think im more upset about this than Stovye is! lol

I feel sure he just wont give up and will get it back soon though.

He will be lying in bed at night in a cold shiver thinking about it till he cant stand it anymore.

Its a bit of gold hunt with a twist hey......this time you actually know there is a nugg there before its found.

Good luck Stoyve....thats one for the books mate! ;)

Metamorphic said:
Ridge Runner said:
Grab someone with an ALDI 8000 and get back out there.

META,, I am wondering maybe you could start an Agony Aunt Thread when we need Consoling, lolololol :D :D :D

Hehe, yeh RR, I think im more upset about this than Stovye is! lol

I feel sure he just wont give up and will get it back soon though.

He will be lying in bed at night in a cold shiver thinking about it till he cant stand it anymore.

Its a bit of gold hunt with a twist hey......this time you actually know there is a nugg there before its found.

Good luck Stoyve....thats one for the books mate! ;)

I agree, I can not think how he feels but I wish him all the luck in the world in it's recovery,

Just a thought,, Maybe it might be worth taking a high Freq VLF along As Well, coz maybe that nugget might be a bit spongy which might explain why now the ground has been disturbed that they have trouble seeing it,,

john

Good idea John......the vlf is also less likely to suffer from any nearby interference that Stoyve mentioned was a problem in recovery, and we know its not deep!

My GMT Goldmaster is always available to you Stoyve if you ever need it mate, pickup NW Melb outer!

Cheers ;)

You may be suffering Stoyve, and we're feeling for your anguish, but i reckon there's quite a few of us on here that will be enjoying this 'lost and found' adventure. Make sure you post a pic of the said 'guilty nugget' when it's found please mate. :p

Metamorphic said:
Good idea John......the vlf is also less likely to suffer from any nearby interference that Stoyve mentioned was a problem in recovery, and we know its not deep!

My GMT Goldmaster is always available to you Stoyve if you ever need it mate, pickup NW Melb outer!

Cheers ;)

META, I just air tested a 1.9g lead nugget with the GMT and it sees it at 12 to 14" Max Just?? so if it losses 60 to 70% of that depth because of the hot ground it might just be in range, the MXT sees it at about the same but I think your GMT might be the Go, Aye

john

I have had a clump of dirt stick to my pick and it flung off with the target inside as I threw my pick on the ground to check the hole.

It and fell about 2m away and I searched for 10 minutes before I realised what happened.

It was the most frustrating bullet I have ever retrieved.

..everytime i see this topic title I can't help but think that somes done a sneaky turd somewhere...

I've actually heard of this a couple of times, they went bacj and never found thirr signak though ...went phantom..same story with noisy ground.

Hope ya find it man. Bucket the soil n pan it if u have to hehe no stress if it is lost

Latest posts