The Gold Fields and Mineral Districts of Victoria by R. Brough Smyth

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G0lddigg@ said:
came across this ripper this morning Too Loamer might be of interest "GSV Bulletin 62 - Deep lead gold deposits" GSV is Geological survey victoria for those that aren't aware.

http://dpistore.efirst.com.au/product.asp?pID=1009&cID=56

I have the 'hard copy' - it is an excellent book. A must have for Victoria. If you can, try and get a loan (or buy) a copy of James Flett 'The Discovery of Gold in Victoria'. It covers every goldfiled in some detail and has some of the transcripts from the 1800s Rewards Committee. For example " I was at XYZ Gully at XYZ and the gold was in the wash" etc . Better still, at the Ballarat library they should actually have the records for the Rewards Committee.

deepblue said:
hey Golddig the was a copy for sale in Daylesford before Xmas and it was cheap.
regards deepblue

Hi Deepblue,
Was that at the Mill Market or at the bookshop in the main drag?
Pretty sure it wasn't at the bookshop, was there last Sunday, but didn't go to the MM.
Did find a nice copy of the Prospectors Guide for $15
They were well stocked up on various guiges, obviously for the long weekend rush. A word of caution to anyone buying a Barnham guide... there are new editions quoting GPS references, this is not included in most of the copies I've seen in outlets over the last couple of months.
Cheers Tom

thanks mate, the records they have in ballarat are insane and i'm committing to an hour each day to get in there, I just found a copy that i can borrow in clunes so i'll get it shipped over thanks again loving these books. 12 months ago they wouldn't have made sense... but nowadays I quite often will dig 3 metres down to sample a hill when loaming and these books really take the guess work out.

Speaking of Clunes - don't forget the Clunes book fair - 3/4 May - the one where they close of the whole town for it. The books are reasonably priced but the odd 'gold' bargain is to be had. Clunes for gold is an odd place. It is almost as if the old timers found that small alluvial patch and that was that. Almost straight onto deep lead mining - very interesting place to study.

ive spent quite a bit of time in clunes, was camped up there a few years ago when the floods came through. Those book fares get quite an audience.

They have completely redeveloped the frontage of the caravan park, i.e. moved all the trees and landscaped it, most of the gold there is in quite large nuggets and in specimen. I knew an old bloke there Clive who has passed away since but hes collection of gold nuggets was something to see. He told me he picked most of them up along the banks just walking along.

Looking forward to a good read tonight as it happens heading out towards maryborough tommorrow :)
1395362887_tmp_20140321_113128-1819091575.jpg

An interesting read, have the Dunolly one as well but haven't read it as yet.
Currently going through the "History of the Wedderburn Gold Fields", got a hardcover version for $35, very interesting and has a nice period fold out map of the region in the back.
There's an online version you can download from the state library (if Ballarat don't have it).
Have spent 6 months just getting to know Creswick region, now looking to try new pastures.
Don't believe in just getting into an area for 5 minutes, get great please from spending time around the one area.

couldn't agree more Teemore, Ive been studying Creswick for over a year now and I'm still finding new ground, finding that many records were waaaaay off and its really starting to make sense. for me its not just about finding the gold its about finding the history understanding it, comparing to how things are now and working the ground knowing what to expect.

You did well picking that up for $35 mate that awesome weve got a copy at ballarat research only but i know where it is :)

Latest posts