The Gold Fields and Mineral Districts of Victoria by R. Brough Smyth

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Several for sale on ebay. You can get an electronic copy for free but it does not have the maps. This book is quite expensive but I rate it very highly. The maps are fairly fragile, even on the reprints but they are excellent. One copy is quite cheap - I would read the sellers comments carefully (missing text etc).

the book is full of fold out maps and diagrams - they are quite fragile. they are not covered in any electronic versions I have seen. its expensive but then again, so are coils etc and I look at it as they are all tools.

no doubt, more tools the better i reckon have your tried the library? I know in Ballarat they have an archive section just on goldfields and have already photocopied most books for reference.

Hi Loamer,
In the process of tracking down some Flett material I came across one by him "Pubs, Sly Grog Shops ... in the Vic Goldfields".
Any recommendation on this one? As my detector at the moment is only a 705 I'm trying to concentrate on 'alternative' treasures, old pubs have an obvious attraction.
Interesting as to what constitutes expensive, my main passion is in collecting Stereoviews and they don't come cheap either, the one featured in my avatar is an Ed Haigh view c1860 and some of the books look cheap compared to what some of these views can cost.
Cheers Tom

G0lddigg@ said:
no doubt, more tools the better i reckon have your tried the library? I know in Ballarat they have an archive section just on goldfields and have already photocopied most books for reference.

I have the book and maps. I bought it and an original Brough Smyth 'Geological Survey of Victoria 1874'. The 1874 was actually cheaper.

Teemore said:
Hi Loamer,
In the process of tracking down some Flett material I came across one by him "Pubs, Sly Grog Shops ... in the Vic Goldfields".
Any recommendation on this one? As my detector at the moment is only a 705 I'm trying to concentrate on 'alternative' treasures, old pubs have an obvious attraction.
Interesting as to what constitutes expensive, my main passion is in collecting Stereoviews and they don't come cheap either, the one featured in my avatar is an Ed Haigh view c1860 and some of the books look cheap compared to what some of these views can cost.
Cheers Tom

PM sent

Good on you Golddig. Hit the Gold Research Centre at Bendigo Library if you get a chance. Its upstairs in the new library. Some very fragile books but I find lots of potential spots every time I visit. Its all reference material, so as you can't borrow it there is no need to be a rate payer to join. There are several hand typed stories of the goldfields of interviews with old timers. You can buy photo copy cards there as well and go for your life. The library staff are excellent help - just be up-front and tell them what you want. Plenty of computers, cafe etc and no worries with taking a lap top in.

hey Golddig the was a copy for sale in Daylesford before Xmas and it was cheap.
regards deepblue

Hi loamer,
where can i get the electronic copy for free, even without the maps it would be a good read.

loamer said:
Good on you Golddig. Hit the Gold Research Centre at Bendigo Library if you get a chance. Its upstairs in the new library. Some very fragile books but I find lots of potential spots every time I visit. Its all reference material, so as you can't borrow it there is no need to be a rate payer to join. There are several hand typed stories of the goldfields of interviews with old timers. You can buy photo copy cards there as well and go for your life. The library staff are excellent help - just be up-front and tell them what you want. Plenty of computers, cafe etc and no worries with taking a lap top in.

I'll certainly get over that way at some stage sounds like a great library, for now i'm just finding my way around Ballarat library, the archives here are amazing, like you said you cant take them home but I have been given the ok on some literature that they say they have backups copies of. I'm hoping they let me take home some of thmaps so I can scan them and have them blown up and printed for wallpaper :)

Just 672 pages of reading, however page 219 has a map. Are these the maps being referred too or are there more?

Obviously just a skip through but the illustrations are real art work. Tonight I'll put it on a thumb drive & see if it comes up on the tv.

hahah your link is dead too, mate the pages have fold out maps, the online versions has some of them but they are printed on wax paper so they dont come out very well.

G0lddigg@ said:
loamer said:

I'll certainly get over that way at some stage sounds like a great library, for now i'm just finding my way around Ballarat library, the archives here are amazing, like you said you cant take them home but I have been given the ok on some literature that they say they have backups copies of. I'm hoping they let me take home some of thmaps so I can scan them and have them blown up and printed for wallpaper :)

Golddigg - now this is an expensive option BUT, I printed the Victorian parish quarter maps I wanted onto a plotter. 900mm paper plus wide and as long as you want. The trick is when doing the old maps is to avoid pixualistion (you know - fuzzy images). That way you sit with an old parish map of the goldfields, modern topo and geo maps (you will need to do conversions as the old maps are in chains). Get sheets of clear plastic to make overlays, and use permanent pens for markings - hey presto, 'treasure maps'. This keeps the originals clean. 1:25,000s are cheapest and cover most of the areas you want. To get the four key sets i wanted - $100 and done for good.

your not wrong mate plotters are bloody expensive but a good map is worth paying for. I worked in the printing game for a few years I reckon I could pull a few favors :)

Latest posts