The 44 gallon drum debate.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok, rules are NO GOOGLE!

Question is, in mm, how high is a 44 gallon drum?

(Ok, inches and feet is fine for those still using that system).

Have a guess, but please guess, NO GOOGLE!!.

I've been looking at tapemeasures my whole working life and I thought I'd have a clue.

Anyhow , guess away.......

I can't remember but they are bloody heavy when they are full of Molasses, or Hypoid 90/120 Gear Oil :eek: :( :rolleyes: :awful:

Is this a English drum or a drum from that very large country that makes things of very poor quality. If it's English I would imagine that it would be imperial therefore 1 yard. That's my guess. ;)

deepblue said:
Is this a English drum or a drum from that very large country that makes things of very poor quality. If it's English I would imagine that it would be imperial therefore 1 yard. That's my guess. ;)

I'd second that if we're talking imperial gallons then it'd be 36 inches. However in today's world the regular currency for fluids is litres and in my daily experience there's no standard drum size, They can be either 210L or 200L, I've seen 205L and 202L. Around 900mm/35.4" is an "average" height for these modern ones.

From Google -

The exact capacity varies by manufacturer, purpose, or other factors. Standard drums have inside dimensions of 572 millimetres (22.5 in) diameter and 851 millimetres (33.5 in) height. These dimensions yield a volume of about 218.7 litres (57.8 US gal; 48.1 imp gal), but they are commonly filled to about 200 litres.

That'll save you going out in the dark Wishfull

Latest posts