Temperature

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

condor22

Mike
Reaction score
As many can see, S.A. is experiencing very hot conditions. Yesterday (2/1/15) was about 43 deg C shade temp.

I have ambient temperature gauges in the FJ and my caravan, both were out in the sun, the gauges shaded. I cracked the roof vent of the van and a couple of windows and the 2 front windows of the FJ were cracked 2-3mm, basically to de-pressure each.

The van max reached 48.6 deg, however the temp in the FJ reached 51.7 deg.

Adds to what the authorities say about leaving kids in cars, but of interest to those of us with Engels, Waecos or other in the back is the effect on the fridge. Most portable compressor fridges have a 40 deg below ambient operating limit. So in the instance of such high temps, they barely make it and will be operating continually very quickly draining batteries.

Mate that's just crazy heat. Wow with a capital W. I would do a perish.
This sort of heat wave we are down in Portland Vic with the aircon on waiting for it to cool a little to go fishing.
Good luck today out there mate.
My Engel has the Heineken and the bundys at 1 degree. :)

Its going to be a long hot summer :( Not only will the portable 12 fridges find it difficult but the temperatures push up the Head pressure and condensing temps, this leads to excessive wear and premature compressor failure. The refrigeration unit won't handle ambient temperatures above 40C very well.

Make sure that the fridges are well shaded and have unobstructed airflow all around them.

Cheers

I've seen my Engel still at 3 deg when it's been 38 outside. I think the Sawafuji compressor may handle things a bit better than the Danfoss. I'm led to believe that the current Danfoss since made in China is not as good as the one that is made in Denmark. Most of Australia's stock is the Chinese version nowadays.

My Engel is 21 years old, no rust and has endured 40+ in the Flinders Ranges, but boy does the battery take a hammering when it's hot. If I'm on a caravan park in the heat, I usually put the 240VAC cable on it and run back to mains. In winter time I leave it on the auxiliary battery. I know the fridge pulls a bit under 3 amps in moderate temps, but goes to 3.5/6 in the heat.

A portable fridge can just about flatten a battery in 24 hours if not charged in high temps.

Hi condor22, its not the compressor that's the problem, its the heat of compression against what the condenser (Not Compressor) can dissipate, this is dependent on refrigerant type as most fridges use 134a or simular. A refrigerant pressure/temperature chart will show the maximum effective temperature operating range - that is the maximum temperature that the refrigerant can be condensed into a saturated vapour/liquid state.

Sounds technical :lol: Its one of my trades :D

Cheers

My 47L fibreglass Evakool operates as normal in 45C.
Keeps beer cold and freezer keeps everything frozen.
From the description on the website = It will freeze in Australias hottest conditions cooling capacity up to 60C below ambient

Funnily enough they don't discuss temperatures or capabilities on their imported fridges such as the Koolmate, Glacier or Travelmate range.
http://www.evakool.com/fridges

Latest posts