Taree, Mid North Coast area NSW information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lingus77

Michael
Reaction score
Hi All!

I live on the Mid North Coast of NSW and keep hearing of the gold around Coffs Harbour etc. Just wondering if anyone has ventured out that way and had any success? Detector or pans etc...

Hope your all finding something...

Mick

But seriously.... 99% of gold here was hard rock mined and was under 10oz/t. There is a couple of alluvial fields, no deep lead though. I have personally panned enough to keep the fire alight but haven't detected any. Hasn't stopped me building my way up to having a 5000.

There are people getting gold here by pan, detector and dredge. I have not seen any highbanker tailings in my travels but I daresay they are around. People keep very hush hush on their locations.

You may have seen a video on youtube talking about Star Creek? Yes there was gold in Star Creek. I have personally panned there, clay from bedrock on the inside of a corner, washed clay from roots and seen no colour. But the hardrock mines are there so there must havebeen gold in the creek.

If you are on Facebook add yourself to http://www.facebook.com/groups/coffsharbourgoldhunters/ only a small group but you'll get locations and ideas on who's finding what. (For anyone else reading I am pretty strict on who I add to the group as I only want people who will be actively working in the Coffs area to be on the group)

Hi Lingus 77 I live at Glenreagh (mid way Coffs Harbour Grafton ) as you would know from here a horse shoe around to Woolgoolga then through to Dorrigo there are hundreds of mines mainly alluvial that takes in Coffs Harbour- Dorrigo-Nymboida-Woolgoolga region.For ref Metallogenic Study and Mineral Deposit Data Sheets and Dorrigo - Coffs Harbour 1;120 000 Metallogenic Map will give you all the GPS cord to them . I am slowly working my way to the one's that could have some results, have not found much yet. I just like being out in the bush and the stream and creeks that is hidden away is just fantastic it's a bit of work getting to some of them but it's worth it. If you come this way look us up we could team up for a day and I could show some area's
Bast of hunting

Hi guys.. I'm based a little bit further north in yamba.. Im fairly new to prospecting .I've been slowly getting closer to coffs harbour in my adventures .. Would love to join your Facebook group .. Like minded people always help and we are all working in the feeders for the Clarence

Heard from a few people that you can find gold up at the cells river / is there anywhere else around here that you can find it, also how far downstream from a known spot can you find it? Thanks

Hi I would be interested too. I have been reading some old posts. I am thinking of exploring the area since I live nearby

If your going to be looking around that area there's some off limits areas to be aware of.
Have a read of:
Cottan-Bimbang National Park, Cottan-Bimbang State Conservation Area and The Cells State Conservation Area Plan of Management
https://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/...t/documents/the-cells-state-conservation-area

Subject to environmental impact assessment. Requires consent under the National Parks and Wildlife Regulation.
Sluicing will not be permitted.

Fossicking is a recreational activity involving the small-scale search for minerals, gemstones or mineral-bearing material from the surface (or by digging from the surface) with handheld implements.
Fossicking is generally not permitted in parks without consent because it can pose unacceptable risks to natural and cultural heritage (OEH 2018). As fossicking mainly takes place along river and creek banks, disturbance of soils and erosion can lead to impacts on aquatic habitats, vegetation and fauna such as native fish (NSW Industry & Investment 2019).
The NPWS policy allows for limited fossicking opportunities in parks with consent, subject to an appropriate environment and risk assessment level. The assessment needs to consider if the activity poses unacceptable risks to visitor safety or to park values, including threatened native plants and animals, Aboriginal cultural heritage, World Heritage values, wilderness, catchment integrity and water quality.

The parks were formerly part of the Bulga, Brassey, Doyles River, Mount Seaview and Enfield state forests. There was some history of recreational fossicking in the area while it was state forest with this focused on the area that is now The Cells State Conservation Area. There is no evidence that fossicking occurred in the area contained within Cottan-Bimbang National Park or Cottan-Bimbang State Conservation Area. Access into these areas is limited due to the steep terrain that can be dangerous inaccessible in the wet. There are also safety issues associated with disused mine shafts that may pose a risk to visitor safety.
Given the important Aboriginal cultural heritage values, significant catchment values and associated stream ecology in these parks, particularly in the catchments of Fenwicks and Ralfes creeks and Tobins River, recreational fossicking will only be allowed to continue to occur in the Cells State Conservation Area using handheld metal detectors and pans.
Sluicing associated with previous fossicking activity in this area caused environmental impacts and will therefore not be permitted.

Fossickers must follow the low impact requirements of the Mining Regulation 2016 and the NPWS Fossicking policy (OEH 2018). NPWS will monitor any environmental impacts caused by this recreational activity and may not provide consent if adverse impacts are detected.

3.6.9 Fossicking will be permitted in The Cells State Conservation Area, subject to requirements under the NPWS fossicking policy.
Fossicking is only permitted on the surface and not in old mine shafts.

Latest posts