Swedish Candle - When you have limited firewood

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is a great idea when camping with limited firewood.
Ive done it many times and never had a problem. A decent piece of wood can give you upto 4 hours of constant hot fire.
You can cook on it, use it for warmth, or simply drink a few cans and watch it slowly burn.
When im camping in an area that i know has limited firewood, ill cut one of these at home and take it with me.
Give it a go, its not hard!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjQRLQTNsJo

That's a great way of long burn heating / cooking. I am deifiteky going to try it next trip. I will make the slits a bit deeper down the log to try and get the most out of it.. Thanks mate.

Boyd - does this work just as well with hardwood - for example, Box Ironbark, which is the majority of timber around the goldfields here? Looked very much like softwood but be interested to know.

Thanks for the tip - loved the video with his 'safety' equipment using the chainsaw!!!

I can see me an the kids enjoying a few of these burning at once.

can split the log with an axe and use a bit of wire tied low to hold it together , insert sticks in the splits for the coals to fall onto and keep the splits open

I love that there is always a new way to have a fire going and one that can be useful as well ( to cook on ), I got obsessed with rocket stoves and bio gas burners for a while, but usually needed some tins to make one that would last.

Atom - seen the youtube on making rocket stoves, dollar burners and coffee can stoves on youtube? Worth a look.

loamer said:
Atom - seen the youtube on making rocket stoves, dollar burners and coffee can stoves on youtube? Worth a look.
Yeah mate, I've been through as many as possible, I really like rocket mass heaters that you can use as central heating. I ended up in hospital with Carbon Monoxide poisoning for testing out too many burners and sucking in too much smoke :/ Kinda worth it though ;)

Latest posts