Swag recommendations, information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
grubstake said:
Smoky bandit said:
Mate I've got the big daddy deluxe.
I'm 6.1ft and 140 kg and I've still got heaps of room for the little wife...They are well worth the money...Only problem is they roll up to about 5ft + in height and about 60cm across cercumfrence. They also sag in the middle once put up but there's simple ways to fix that. :Y:

Not gonna ask what you (and the little wife!) are using for a prop. :8
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :Y:

Yeah I have the big daddy as well. I sold the mat off whilst still in the bag new. I just use a dble air bed in it. Queen is just a tad to big.
And it makes it a lot more compact without the mattress. $20 keep and keep a new air bed as a spare.
$2 a tin for neutral dubbin, brush it into the stitching. Keeps them soft and water proof.
I put an eyelet in each of four corners of the flaps. A one meter pole up through them with a rope gives a bit of an awning for shading the esky etc.
Great ventilation in these. :Y:
At least 8 tins of dubbin are needed to coat the entire canvas. Helps keep it supple and water resistant.
Do so pitched in the sun. Melts in quickly.
TIP! Put some tassels on the internal side of the zips. (White electrical zip ties work ok) 100mm long.
Bugga to find in the dark, almost whizzed my pants one night when I couldn't find them!

I also have a 3m gazebo, with 2 attachable tents, and a combination of walls. A great set up if your there for 5 days plus. But the oz trail tents are not really that water proof. Very Roomy but.
A 3x3m tarp is needed drapped over the top if there is a chance of a shower.
Even if still in the swag, the tent makes a good store/change room. Pitch it on the western side for shade in the arvo's.
Different set ups for different occasions.
Big daddy is a 5 min pitch.

Geez after reading this thread I need a new swag still using my trusty old Darche his first model that won him a design and innovation award, got it in about 92 or 93 if it could talk I'd be in trouble :lol:. I don't use a swag often these days where years ago it was every weekend and every night while on holidays spent 3 months in it up the east coast and back. I'll check out their website and look for an upgrade :Y:

I just seasoned mine with water no Dubbin...
It's been in some heavy downpours and I've not got wet...Just don't touch the sides. :Y: :) :beer:

mudgee hunter said:
Yeah I have the big daddy as well. I sold the mat off whilst still in the bag new. I just use a dble air bed in it. Queen is just a tad to big.
And it makes it a lot more compact without the mattress. $20 keep and keep a new air bed as a spare.
$2 a tin for neutral dubbin, brush it into the stitching. Keeps them soft and water proof.
I put an eyelet in each of four corners of the flaps. A one meter pole up through them with a rope gives a bit of an awning for shading the esky etc.
At least 8 tins of dubbin are needed to coat the entire canvas. Helps keep it supple and water resistant.
TIP! Put some tassels on the internal side of the zips. (White electrical zip ties work ok) 100mm long.
Bugga to find in the dark, almost whizzed my pants one night when I couldn't find them!
I just roll on my side and poke it out the zip...don't even have to get out.lol :lol: :lol: :Y:

My string bean body even bottoms out in the self inflating mattresses! Even the 100mm series.
They look good and compact when new.....
Air beds are cold in winter but.
Much more compact but.
The king daddy with a decent quality single air bed will leave room for your clothes bag etc.
Keep your eye out for an old cricket kit bag, big enough where you can pack the swag/ air bed, pump/ pillow and your sleeping bag in one hit.

Ive got the big daddy and theres loads of room inside and between the 70mm mattress and my sheep skin underlay its a pretty good nights sleep. Its a bit of a pain rolling back up hungover but if youre got a extra pair of hands its a pretty quick and easy job

mudgee hunter said:
My string bean body even bottoms out in the self inflating mattresses! Even the 100mm series.
They look good and compact when new.....
Air beds are cold in winter but.
Much more compact but.
The king daddy with a decent quality single air bed will leave room for your clothes bag etc.
Keep your eye out for an old cricket kit bag, big enough where you can pack the swag/ air bed, pump/ pillow and your sleeping bag in one hit.

I thought Id just leave clothes in my car most likely. Extra room probably would be handy

I also have the Big Daddy. Its great for space inside, but as has been said, they sag a bit, so I use an extra tent peg & cord on each corner.
I treat my tents & swags with the spray on silicone sealant in a can from BCF

Smoky bandit said:
mudgee hunter said:
I just roll on my side and poke it out the zip...don't even have to get out.lol :lol: :lol: :Y:

Flash pj's having a zip!
End up with a water bed! :lol:
Bit like everytime you put on your waders and zip up....... awh man! Got'a have a whizz.......wtf
Orry Vic, this thread might go sideways for a bit. :lol:

Gday all, so I am in the market for a new swag and was wondering what members are using, I dont want a cheap ass kings swag so I was thinking of getting a drifta classic , because it is from what the owner of drifta say all Australian source and made
Thanks
Ian

Sounds like you already made ya mind up. :perfect:
I got the big daddy deluxe with the upgraded mattress.
Cant fault it.
Great quality and thick canvas.
Just not Australian made but I don't really care :lol: :Y: :beer:

Smoky bandit said:
Sounds like you already made ya mind up. :perfect:
I got the big daddy deluxe with the upgraded mattress.
Cant fault it.
Great quality and thick canvas.
Just not Australian made but I don't really care :lol: :Y: :beer:

Looks like I have smoky , had a kings swag fell apart after a few trips

Ian

Latest posts