Super fine super light

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hi guys,
i'm just getting started into gold fossicking and i've been following your forum for quite a awhile and i hope i can get some help with my question i've found myself a patch of gold flake but despite my best efforts i'm finding it very difficult to seperate the gold from the other stuff i've made myself a miller table as found on this forum and it works really well but about 2/3 of the gold flakes is lighter than the rubbish i'm attempting to wash off. its hard to explain i'll post a pic so you can see but any increase in angle or water flow washes more gold off the table than the rubbish or blondes so i'm at a loss as what to do. sorry about the light reflection in the pics

gLYHfrW.jpg

LNy102M.jpg

2QSFCMf.jpg

AnOySkf.jpg

Put a hole in top corner with a bottle glued under it and as the gold goes down get small paint brush and brush the gold into the hole that works for me
Cheers

yeah that is on my list of things to add to it but my problem it that the gold wont stay put, once i get the flow right to move the "non gold" items off the table the gold won't stay settled it just wants to go with it so I'm not sure what to do

It is a question of hydraulic equivalence (http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/278194/hydraulic-equivalence). To put it simply Your surface to weight ratio on different particle sizes make them the same and they wash down the table. You going to have to collect what is blown of the end and screen it down and run the materiel again giving you like for like particle sizes the gold should then drop out but you'll need to adjust you flow rate and pitch to suit.

I would suggest that the surface you are using is not consistent as it has a painted surface, maybe use a 5000 grit sandpaper to first have a consistent surface to help the gold drop out. basically you've got the matt on upside down :)

All the cheaper hobby mats around me have the lines both sides I was hoping to find one that was blank on the back but I'll try smooth it off with some wet and dry paper down to 5000 grit

G0lddigg@ said:
I would suggest that the surface you are using is not consistent as it has a painted surface, maybe use a 5000 grit sandpaper to first have a consistent surface to help the gold drop out. basically you've got the matt on upside down :)

That should be easy enough when I get home from work I'll try screen it all up again and play angles and flow rate and try again

Newbie said:
It is a question of hydraulic equivalence . To put it simply Your surface to weight ratio on different particle sizes make them the same and they wash down the table. You going to have to collect what is blown of the end and screen it down and run the materiel again giving you like for like particle sizes the gold should then drop out but you'll need to adjust you flow rate and pitch to suit.

Latest posts