Sucking up river soil ??

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zakman

Marcus
Reaction score
Hi Guys what the simplest way to suck up river soil. I found a spot where the river drops and I like to such the soil up and pan it.

Obviously a shovel will work but i lose allot .

Thanks Zakman

To my knowledge that's the only legal way other wise your into dredging territory

No I mean a simple type of hand pump Ive seen the on utube but i don't know the name?

hi

This works well but you need some fall to be effective.
i made up a syphon with a catch bottle in the middle. 1/4 inch into 1/2 inch pipe into 2 inch on the lower side to multiply the vacuum. it looks like a bong on steroids. anyway, it has no moving parts and as long as the head is under water it will suck gravel all day long, even if your not there! I get the odd blockage in the first short length of tube. I normally use 20-50 meters of hose depending on how flat the creek is, you can get away with much less hose if you have enough fall or drop or the end goes over a waterfall for example 3 meters is enough. Any longer than 50 and it gets too heavy to pull up the creek when its full.

it has a duel use too, if you need to get water to a dry area you can syphon it over and around hills etc as long as you have a height differential it will work.

a cheap method is a garden hose into a coke bottle opening shoved in a bit further so it sticks up. (a trap) then a 1/4 inch tube as the sucker bit tapped into the bottom of the bottle. it is great for small crevices and can be made for under $20.

i contacted our mines department and just got hand tool only, a syphon is a hand tool

another has a gravity dredge, same principle but he catches his gravels at the end of the system, but it blocks if the hose is laying in a depression and is a big task to cleanup. i prefer where the gold stops first at the beginning of the system.

[video=480,360]http://youtu.be/GLyL5fTbnes[/video]

kindest regards
Phillip

I've built a very standard yabbie pump, I also have the stainless one at home, and looking at gcause's one, I'm ready to build one like that. It's fantastic to see all the ideas, suggestions and plans which make up our great forum. Thanks guys :D

Thanks Philski, that was very cool.
I think I will stick with the Yabby pump and go slow as I''m mainly a detector guy but as I wonder around I have come across a few nice little creeks ( Some dry and some running) where there is a significant drop in water level so I thought that it would be good to drop back and just pan those spots.

But if find that mother load I definitely make a Big Black Pipe sucking think"". haha

Thanks again. Zakman

Hate to be "that" bloke but gravity dredging is just as illegal as normal dredging, there is some threads kicking around the forum with the laws so dont shoot the messenger. ;)

Balx said:
Hate to be "that" bloke but gravity dredging is just as illegal as normal dredging, there is some threads kicking around the forum with the laws so dont shoot the messenger. ;)
You're correct Balx - no one is going to shoot the messenger mate for educating newcomers with do's and don'ts. Cheers Joe

Balx said:
Its a bait or "yabby" pump, just get one from any tackle shop. $50

Yabby pump is the go mate. You can feed it directly in to your sluice box. We use it this weekend and it got us some yellow.
1383730650_image.jpg

Yeap. Balx is correct.. in qld you cannot legaly use gravity dredge. It is hydralic removal ss the water flow is doing the lifting..
Got thatvfrom the mines dept boss in Townsville a couple of months bsck.

Check your state regs.. hate for you to get a fine..
Cheers Tone