STONE ?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joao garimpeiro

Joo Novaes Neto
Reaction score
I found this rock on gold mining. Someone can tell me what it is? I do not know this kind of rock.
1437816570_rock_001.jpg

1437816571_rock_002.jpg

1437816571_rock_003.jpg

1437816571_rock_004.jpg

1437816571_rock_005.jpg

Must have fell into salt water and got silted over, and as the silt hardened there was a cavity left around it(because it got smaller over time), salt water sucks moisture out of things(potato experiment), so my guess is that it definately used to be organic before it got turned into stone. :)

blisters said:
My first impression was fornicaceous rockus, but since I suck at seeing much definition in online photos I'd say you have a piece of calcrete.
Jon

Thank you Jon

I had never found anything like this!

silver said:
Must have fell into salt water and got silted over, and as the silt hardened there was a cavity left around it(because it got smaller over time), salt water sucks moisture out of things(potato experiment), so my guess is that it definately used to be organic before it got turned into stone. :)

Thank you Silver,

this rock is very light. the white part seems limestone

If you bust the centre stone I'd bet it would be white inside. It looks chalky and is layered like an onion and light red/brown layer so my guess is a calcrete nodule plus it's light.
Jon

So how is calcrete formed, and what is it Jon ? :|
blisters said:
If you bust the centre stone I'd bet it would be white inside. It looks chalky and is layered like an onion and light red/brown layer so my guess is a calcrete nodule plus it's light.
Jon

Silver, calcrete forms from the leaching of carbonates from surface soils which perculates downwards and the carbonates precipitate out of solution. The carbonates could come from sand etc. I have seen a fair bit of this in WA unless I miss ID'd the rock. The nodules would form like a pearl. My geology memory is fairly distant these days but I think climatic conditions also come into effect as it must be dry enough that there is not too much water to put the precipitated carbonate back into solution.
Jon

Scratch it and test with acid it should bubble if calcrete. If it doesn't then maybe it's a geode. Calcrete would be a significant size deposit as well sothere should be a lot more around.
Jon

Latest posts