Stockton Beach Protest Rally

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bisho

sean bishop
Reaction score
is anyone going to the rally at district park in Newcastle to support this. Sounds like it will be a big turnout. The protest is being run by Unlock Australia and they are protesting about the way that public land is being locked up or access is being severely restricted. This of course could lead to severe or draconian restrictions placed upon our hobby should the governments of the day continue with these lockouts.

cheers Bisho

When is it on Bisho.
I attended the last fiasco.
A fantastic attendance that went nowhere......only massive publicity for Roothy.

Politician's nowhere to be seen.

Just hope this one is better organized
Cheers.

I think it's tomorrow but am unable to attend, I'd love to support the cause though. Hopefully they have a great turnout and as thesmithy said, a well organised rally.

10 am at district park in Lambton, right behind hunter stadium, which is where the knights play their home games

thesmithy said:
When is it on Bisho.
I attended the last fiasco.
A fantastic attendance that went nowhere......only massive publicity for Roothy.

Politician's nowhere to be seen.

Just hope this one is better organized
Cheers.
Smithy,

I thought the same ,more publicity for Roothy

Pete

Ok all, I went along to this today and apart from the rain was a good event. The Unlocking Australia group came back with some info as they had been invited to speak to government leaders and departmental heads in the last fortnight. The main concern about the beach was that there is always a lot of rubbish left behind, illegal dumping and people driving over the sacred areas of the beach(there is a name for them but I can't even pronounce them let alone attempt to spell them) The Group has suggested a few remedies to overcome these issues and probably help out everyone in the state, which I think is pretty fair

1. if NSW applied a deposit to all drink containers i.e aluminium cans, glass and plastic bottles as they do in Sth Australia the amount of rubbish would be reduced. Its been years since I've been to Sth Oz but a few I spoke to today ensured me that there is next to no littering on the Sth Oz roadside

2 reducing the amount of tax per tonne of rubbish that the councils are forced to collect for the government, this would reduce the illegal dumping if people could actually afford to use the dumps. It was also bought to our attention that the Environmental Protection Agency has been increasing this tax/levy by 30% a year for the last 4 years, this has led some councils having to charge up to $240.00 per trailer load

3 introducing a 5-10 min vid that can be viewed on line explaining the sacred areas of the beach, apparently even the woromi people understand and appreciate the fact that some people or just plain unaware of what to look for. I understand that this will have to be viewed before you can even apply for a beach access permit

These were the main key points I came away with, I don't believe that they will be all achievable but you never know. You make up your own mind.

I just thought I'd post this up here to let you all know what was discussed

cheers

Bisho :)

Thanks for the update bisho, hopefully they get the outcome they're looking for. Do you have any idea regarding the number of people that turned up?

Nugget said:
Thanks for the update bisho, hopefully they get the outcome they're looking for. Do you have any idea regarding the number of people that turned up?
there was a few, maybe 1500, but I do have trouble trying to guess how many. I thought it was still allright considering it was wet :)

Please explain, I am having a one-nation moment here with a few government assertions both here and in other posts.

We can't camp on the beach, have a good piss-up and chuck our camping crap and used pippie shells away for future generations to find? Isn't this one of the valued treasure generating activities that justifies the existence of several government departments?

I remember signs at remote camp grounds years ago that instructed us to bury our rubbish, government policy in action, perhaps this is the founding policy instruction that will lead to the creation of future heritage departments?

Is this the same beach that was a live firing range? Does the tonnes of audience that the government ploughed into the dunes pail into insignificance against the odd VB and tuna can of modern day grots?

Yes, some people are filthy buggers but this is why council justified introducing charges for a 4wd permit, to provide safe access and a refuse disposal service? Is a government department power play driving this addenda?

We now need to pay the government for the privilege of collecting pippies on this and other beaches, but not too many or we also have the privilege of paying penalties for doing so, and now we need to pay to haul them all the way to landfill and be penalised with environmental levees and then kick more money in for the carbon emissions in getting them there.

Now we can't access some beach dune areas because of the consequential impacts of sand mining and the wind. They have exposed areas where someone has been throwing away their camping crap for the last several thousand years? This crap now is considered nationally significant and has more rights than you and me?

Some garbage and bottle dumps could now be considered nationally significant and should not be disturbed, particularly if they meet some arbitrary criteria of multiple government departments from time to time?

Any crap left on the goldfields in Victoria from filthy buggers in the 1800s or from the carnage following a piss-up is now considered a relic and we should leave is where it was discarded?

Quite frankly, I am so confused that it makes me want to give up being served fish-n-chips on the weekend and become a member of parliament. God help you all. :eek:

1392551387_tlc_100_camper-3.jpg

Hi Folks,
The above image is from the Unlock Australia rally to-day; I'm having trouble uploading images directly to the forum;, keep getting "invalid URL" all images are less than 1MB. If a member can give me some help here I will post some extra images.
Cheers, SinHof

Latest posts