Starting out (Prospecting)

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt22

Matt
Reaction score
Hi

I'm very new to the Prospecting world. Keen to get out and have a crack, good excuse to get outdoors and enjoy what nature has to offer!

I'm after a little info in relation to start-out equipment. I'm currently saving for a detector, so I would like to get started on the panning gear.

I was wondering what panning gear should I require and what brands do you recommend? best place to buy from in Aus (Im located in Tassie)

Any info would be greatly appreciated :)

Cheers

Matt

Hey Matt,

Pan, sieve & snufferbottle.
A bucket, some basic digging tools - shovel, trowel, spoon, brush & something to scratch crevices out with.

Any pan will work, some better than others. Everyone has their own preference, but most recon(including myself) that you can't go too wrong with a Garrett Supersluice pan. The garrett pans are fast(correction - you can pan fast with them) & fairly difficult to loose gold with - with little practice.

I use a bucket sieve. 1/2" mesh - any smaller & it's too easy to loose gold I recon. I got one piece of gold that would struggle to go thru anything smaller & could easily have been overlooked in a smaller mesh sieve. See here on how to make one https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=541

The Garrett deluxe pan kit is good for beginners. Contains the super sluice pan which is my personal favorite plus 2 smaller ones, a classifier, a snuffer bottle , some vials and a instruction book. Think there about $90 usually.

DD

AgMan and DD are correct, you should be able to pick up a kit for around 90. I am also starting out, i have a small black pan, garden sieve from bunnings, quarter inch i think cost 10 bucks. made one of AgMans bucket sieves and i have a couple off digging tools i have liberated from the garden shed. I also have a small pointing trowel for getting into nooks and crannies. All up i think i have spent 50 on gear.. just do your research and ask questions on this forum. I have had nothing but great advice and encouragement from the members here. good luck and may you hit pay dirt :)

Cunnings hardware have a range of Fiskars brand poly small garden tools.

There is a great scoop, very strong. Heat it up in the oven or with a blow torch to soften it and flatten the roundness out of it.
You will need one of those when detecting. But meanwhile, you can use on your panning or sluicing material.
Good luck.

Cheers, FF.

Thanks everyone for your reply's/info. It's very much appreciated!

If I was to buy one individual pan from the garret line, would you go with the 15" super sluice? Would this cover all types of panning? (Small flakes)

If you were to get one pan the Garret Super Sluice would be the only pan I would get. I have 3 Super Sluice pans and wouldn't use any other pan on the market.(and I've tried them all)....Cheers Wal. :)

Matt22 said:
If I was to buy one individual pan from the garret line, would you go with the 15" super sluice? Would this cover all types of panning? (Small flakes)

Yes, it'll do the lot. Nuggets to flour gold. :D

They got a nice big bottom which is great for finishing off.

The other pans in the Garrett line are smaller & lighter, so easier to transport or use by smaller people maybe(someone else might know)?

I got used to mine quickly - it being heavier & larger than a regular black pan.

Got mine from Bendigo Gold for $30 I think.

Latest posts