Speakers, Boosters and Headphones

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GPX battery in built amp:
When using correctly wired speaker's for the GPX4500/4800/5000 they will have a TRS plug but with only 2 wires attached (main to tip & shield to ring - nothing to sleeve). The battery recognises this configuration & trips the inbuilt amp. I have heard of issues with some external speaker's not being wired correctly so don't trip the amp thus they don't get the required power to operate correctly.

When you use a booster or normally wired headphones the batteries internal amplifier will be bypassed. With a rooster booster there is no connection into the headphone socket to trip the amp & others like the B&Z have a mono TR plug so it is the only operating amp I.e. you can't run both the battery inbuilt amp + the external one & even if you did the sound would most likely be distorted. The aftermarket boosters are thought to be better than the batteries inbuilt one & having used 4 different types I tend to agree but others are quite happy with the battery amp.

Headphone use should not require tripping the amp in the battery for good sound.

The wiring diagram etc. is in the GPX4800/5000 user manual page 13. (if you do happen to want to amp your headphones ;) )

mbasko said:
GPX battery in built amp:
When using correctly wired speaker's for the GPX4500/4800/5000 they will have a TRS plug but with only 2 wires attached (main to tip & shield to ring - nothing to sleeve). The battery recognises this configuration & trips the inbuilt amp. I have heard of issues with some external speaker's not being wired correctly so don't trip the amp thus they don't get the required power to operate correctly.

When you use a booster or normally wired headphones the batteries internal amplifier will be bypassed. With a rooster booster there is no connection into the headphone socket to trip the amp & others like the B&Z have a mono TR plug so it is the only operating amp I.e. you can't run both the battery inbuilt amp + the external one & even if you did the sound would most likely be distorted. The aftermarket boosters are thought to be better than the batteries inbuilt one & having used 4 different types I tend to agree but others are quite happy with the battery amp.

Headphone use should not require tripping the amp in the battery for good sound.

The wiring diagram etc. is in the GPX4800/5000 user manual page 13. (if you do happen to want to amp your headphones ;) )

So if I understand that properly the B & Z does a better job than the inbuilt?
Not an issue with the SDC, apart from the extra connections it's great, may be different on a windy day, may have to revert to the headphones,
Cheers T.

Thanks for the report on the nugget buster loamer, hoping I'll like them as much as you are so far. My UR-30's lasted 2 months before I damaged the leads in dense scrub. I also bought a pair of the nugget busters round the same time you did and they turned up today! No chance to test them out yet but they feel comfy and nowhere near as flimsy as the UR-30's. I must vehemently disagree with your opinion of the nugget buster print on the side of the headphones. I always let my husband know I'm out detecting!

Teemore said:
So if I understand that properly the B & Z does a better job than the inbuilt?
Not an issue with the SDC, apart from the extra connections it's great, may be different on a windy day, may have to revert to the headphones,

In my opinion the B&Z is a lot better than the inbuilt GPX battery amp & also a lot better than the inbuilt SDC speaker, especially having volume control on the SDC.
I am going to trial a Treasuremate II speaker from Vktek http://www.vkteksolutions.com/ that has an inbuilt amp on the SDC. This will remove having a booster then a separate speaker with all the connections etc. I have used one before on my SD2200D & it was ok so don't think it will be a problem on the SDC.
To be honest,even though I'm not a headphones fan, I am thinking the SDC may be best used with headphones. Have used the B&Z for a couple of days but feel as though I may be not as tuned in to the very small threshold changes like I was with the headphones - if that makes sense?

mbasko said:
To be honest,even though I'm not a headphones fan, I am thinking the SDC may be best used with headphones. Have used the B&Z for a couple of days but feel as though I may be not as tuned in to the very small threshold changes like I was with the headphones - if that makes sense?

Hear what you're saying, having used the headphones for a while I was surprised at some of the VERY minor threshold changes I was picking up ..... one in particular I seemed to 'lose' the target after I dug ...... went on searching and finally found a sliver that didn't register on the scales (so under 0.01g !!!!).
Read of a Vetec (??) Booster user who loved them, think you buy then direct from NT.

Have you EVER had to use the ground balance button ....... can't say I've really needed it ???????

Cheers T.

Teemore said:
Have you EVER had to use the ground balance button ....... can't say I've really needed it ???????

I probably just use it out of habit mostly. In bad ground it will settle the machine down quicker if it does become a little unstable but I agree - for the most part you probably don't need to do it.

Might seem like a silly question, but plugged my wife's Iphone ear piece into the detector using a reduction jack and they seem to work well. I'm wondering if anyone else has done this with their detector? Audio in ears is pretty good but can still hear a little of "surrounds" so not that claustrophobic .

i am trying to get away from the cables. Just hate getting tangled up, especially when detector is grounded and the pick is flying about, or walking through scrub and getting hung up.

i have tried several bluetooth wireless transmitters. generally available with 8 to 10hr internal batteries. They plug into 3.5mm headphone jack and work very well.

As a receiver, tried bluetooth speakers - so far too faint to hear even with volume cranked right up.

Then tried bluetooth headphones. these were designed for hi-fi music, but worked equally well with the output fom my L1.

Fantastic - the only cable - a little 100mm bit from control box to transmitter... heaven. now all I have to do is get decent volume from the speaker.

my initial worry - that bluetooth frequencies would interfere with detector did not eventuate. Sweet signals all around

Costs - purchased from Amazon US - approx $25 for transmiter, $35 for headphone. :eek:

Twapster said:
Might seem like a silly question, but plugged my wife's Iphone ear piece into the detector using a reduction jack and they seem to work well. I'm wondering if anyone else has done this with their detector? Audio in ears is pretty good but can still hear a little of "surrounds" so not that claustrophobic .
Yes I use it all the time, eighter with FM transmitter plugged to detector and earphones plugged to S2 mobile. Or if the battery ones flat in the transmitter, I plug earphones straight to the detector. Also I use only one earphone so I can hear what is going on around me.
Karl

Regardless of Booster or Wireless...

One of the big issues is the USER... 8.(

1: Age

2: What you did as a job

3: Background noise

4: Hobby - Band

5: What music and how loud it was.

All these and compounded by your own special make-up dna etc, means that you will not have a perfect hearing range and there will be gaps and lumps and bumps in what you can hear or separate...

So unless you have a small and or pre programmed graphic equaliser that can be fitted and calibrated :cool:

THEN;

You are going to miss-out on hearing some frequencies regardless.

Good headphones, help to block out background noise... Good and BAD can be see from this...

Matched impedance in speakers etc will help ensure the detector Amp is not overloaded and thus clipping and or sinking some frequencies.

But once you have spent many $ regardless of what can be measured and detected by expensive test gear...

The issues of PPCD become involved... Just ask any Audoiphile to explain why his $12K turntable and 50K speakers and special cables are worth it... Then a simple hearing test to evaluate the receiver LOL.

Post purchase rationalization drives a distinct peak in customer satisfaction very early in the customer life-cycle. In this initial period, a customer may say they are over the moon with their new device, but are they masking an underlying feeling of deflation? A customer may even become defensive over their choice of device. Perhaps the fanboyisms we so often observe online are simply customers trying to convince themselves, and their peers, that they did in fact make the right decision!

PS. I still like and love Valve Amps :p

Latest posts