South Australia (SA) weather information

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bacchus

Rick
Reaction score
State Emergency Service has just issued a flash flood warning for SA and filling sandbags , expecting 6 times the total October rainfall in next 12 hours. Should get those Vic creeks flowing, left it a bit late to clean the gutters :eek:

1446541837_image.jpg

stoyve said:
Hope it comes over my way Bacchus. (Ballarat)
We are really down on water levels here.
Stay safe.
Cheers Steve :)

It is slipping South pretty quickly Stoyve but I reckon the boys down the Mount ( Gambier ) will get a decent drink , we need it here too mate been very dry.

Cheers

Chewy said:
It might miss us in mount Gambier I reckon.

Since it's the day for a punt Chew we will have to have a couple of litres of ( FUIC ) on it , I guess I'll just have to trust you ;)

I'm now off to Gamblers anonymous :D

I think it will fizzle out before it get to central Vic area. The weather bureau was telling us that we were getting rain on Wed & Thur. But now they are saying possible rain with thunder storms both days. They just don't know. But we sure do need the rain here!!!
wombat. ;)

You should see what rain looks like in FNQ
50mm could fall in less than an hour.

XIV said:
You should see what rain looks like in FNQ
50mm could fall in less than an hour.

Lived in Towsville for a year , and spent time in Tully ! Had never seen rain like that before but at least it was warm and the drainage was built for it , great white water rafting down the Tully river :eek:

Great part of the country

Only thinking that myself, Fourteen. Up your way that would be a light shower. If memory serves me correctly it is not unusual for you blokes to get 600ml in a day in the wet season.
We all need the rain and especially out west.
Cheers
Mackka

We're sitting on Zamia Creek near Moura. The water hole is low although I can't see the ends. A regular dropped in last night and showed me photos of his fish caught here. Saratoga 900mm amongst them. I threw in a line and pulled out a tortoise but Mrs M was upset with me so I had to let the fish be and cook dinner. :mad:

Mackka said:
Only thinking that myself, Fourteen. Up your way that would be a light shower. If memory serves me correctly it is not unusual for you blokes to get 600ml in a day in the wet season.
We all need the rain and especially out west.
Cheers
Mackka

Daintree recorded 606mm in 24 hours back in 1996 but that was the official measurement. When we lived up there all the locals said they recorded 48" for the same period.

In November 2006 our swimming pool was about 8" from the top when I received a phone call from my sister, at the same time it started to rain. While talking to her the pool overflowed and there was a 2" overflow pipe 3" from the top of the pool as well. That was less than an hour and probably about 10" of rain, hard to believe until you see it.

It is all relative though, the country up there can handle it. The Daintree runs clear even in flood. Even an inch of rain can cause big problems in areas not used to it.

Martin said:
Hope it's gone by the 15th, I will be going to SA... 8)

Adelaide didn't cop that much overnight but Port Lincoln and parts of the Eyre peninsula are underwater

Very true, the infrastructure is in place up here to deal with that much water in one go.
What a smart idea would it be if they could catch and divert just some of that runoff to help out the blokes out west where water is needed.

Yep no power until 0:400 if we are lucky.
People are stuck in lifts, no stop lights in the cities, nothing. We are so underprepared for a major event like this. There have been lots of car accidents a few fires and the list goes on. Like I said on the other post the major part of this system has not hit us yet. Be well prepared You eastern state guys.

Latest posts