some brooches

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will send you a PM with the 2010 Half sov details Cheese(so I don't breach copywright on the forum) for research purposes. :) If I can.

1449893700_pc120041.jpg

This is a pic of the coins edge, is that a reeded edge.
and did all M sovereigns have reeded edges?.

Yep,... that is a reeded edge,.... term,...as below.
:-Reeded edge= Edge serrations on a coin imposed by a collar die. Now a decorative feature, it was originally put in place to prevent clipping.

In the footnotes it says that all proofs have a reeded edge unless otherwise stated,... so I would say that they(all the normal issue) all have a reeded edge. :)

1449987139_a.jpg

1449987159_b.jpg

Went out today and yup the paddock is still giving up.
I like the horse shoe buckle and the distillery thingie,
and how is the old protractor, that will date to before
I sure have enough items to say yup I found the old
fair ground and early race track. a lot of the items
that are indicators and verification of this area and will
be framed for the wall of the now modern day race course.
But not yet, as I still have more time to be had in looking for
that sovereigns partner, and I sure am looking hard.
That sovereign is so small, amazing the size and easy lost.

Could you take a close up photo of the Half Sov next to a Threepence and a Sixpence just so we can see the size comparison please Cheese. :p

They come in around where pull tabs are, just a bit shaper.
I bet a lot just get missed thru that thinking there a pull ring
and I should say diggen all targets has rewards in the end.
Dont worry about discrimination look for the strength of the signal
and go very very slow, like au detecting.
Pluss the signal is different in the ground to out of the ground
and the big thing is experience you gain when you dig all,
It dont matter about what detector you use, as experience is the key
and that takes a lot of diggen all targets.

Gold rings are like that with the ace250,.... it's a signal that makes you think I'll dig it anyway(cept the ones I miss" ha" ).
Thanks a lot for that Cheese,... your a champion. :D

1450080928_untitled.jpg

I get confused here as the Melbourne half sovereign
has a big mintage? and as you can see in my post
that the sovereign that I found has no mint mark on
the reverse?. as I do see on the net Half sovereigns
1899 M, and with the mint mark on the reverse.

1899 Melbourne Mint Gold Sovereign
Mintage, 5,579,157.
Any Thoughts or help please?.

It is a Half sovereign.
But I see the half has mint marks too
on what I see on the net.

What you have circled is not a mint mark Cheese it is intials of the designer 'same as modern day coins' of that sovereign with St George and dragon and this is sometimes less prominent on some issues and after circulation can not be made out at all. The mint mark is either a M for melbourne, P for Perth or S for Sydney and no mint mark or letter is London mint for all Australian Sovereigns and that is below the Horse and dragon like you can see in the photo.

could it be a pattern one that was accidentally let out into circulation,.... you would have to send photos to a good dealer to find theses things out,... that Australian coin and banknote magazine would have contact details in it for some well known coin sleuths. :D

I was just having a look at a Philatelics1 coin auction list, and there is also an 1899 M Half Sovereign without the artist's initials, and another site indicated that it wasn't uncommon for half sovereigns to be missing the initials. The listed 1899 half sovereign without the BP was going for roughly the bullion price, so it seems to be nothing out of the ordinary, especially with the high mintage.

Some of the earlier half sovereigns may have had the BP in the ground under the broken spear handle, though it can appear nothing more than a string of dots, and near on impossible to see if any amount of wear is evident. Essentially if there is any wear to the half sovereign, it will only attract bullion pricing.

Here's the rather large PDF auction listing showing an 1899 M HS minus the BP, though please be aware that this is a direct link to the PDF. :)

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&...CB0wAg&usg=AFQjCNG2tIEwafwbXGWbzW0dDvM9RmXvOA

Personally I wouldn't care much for the value anyway, would be happy enough just to find one in the first place. I would imagine finding a HS would be a hell of a lot harder than locating a full sovereign. :)

Goldpick said:
Personally I wouldn't care much for the value anyway, would be happy enough just to find one in the first place. I would imagine finding a HS would be a hell of a lot harder than locating a full sovereign. :)
The better half reckons if we found 1 she would sleep with it under the pillow and she would sell me before it :rolleyes:

Latest posts