solar powered tromeel and pump

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
i currently run my system with 12v batteries and was wondering the viability of running it on solar power to reduce the need for batteries and prolong prospecting time the pump and motor draw about 7 amps together

I was speaking with another prospector about the same thing today..

He recons solar would be useless as the voltage will regulate..

But I more think the opposite where the technology must be good enough to rectify or regulate a steady 12v..

May need a battrry bank or boost of some other but I certainly thinj thrres a way. 7amp is a fair bit though so mabey just tty solar for one..but that defeat the purpose u want...

You'll still need a battery as everytime a cloud comes over you'll need something to supplement the solar. No doubt it will lengthen your prospecting time and you could get away with a smaller battery.
Jon

You are definately going to need a battery, but a 120 watt panel in the sun would give you about 7 amps... So in sunlight you would effectively be running in neutral.

Any panel needs full sun as there is a dramatic loss of output with shade on any part of the panel.
My 250 watt panel will usually topup the battery bank (180AH) during the day. Normal discharge is 6 amps for 8 hours.

thanks for the videos i picked up a battery and 2 panel folding briefcase style sytem for 50 dollars from a garage sale today i think it comes from super cheap auto as the battery has there branding on it. it has a variable output switch of 12 or 24 volts on the panels.i hope this will provide enough power to run it all.

Latest posts