Trickle charge caravan batteries.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nightjar

Contributor Plus
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had a bit of a cleanup in the shed today and found a small solar panel and a PWM regulator.
Bit of wiring and now have a trickle pumping into the batteries.
At this time of the year I fit the cover to the van blocking out the onboard panels. Once a month I'd run 240V power to the van and give the batteries a boost.
No longer have to do this now, will be charging when ever the suns shining.
Didn't look at panel specifications but it measures about 400mm X 300mm.

even when our van is parked up at home and not getting used I still have the 240v power plugged in which does the exact same thing, trickle charging the batteries, and yes the solar panels on its roof will/would do the same thing, so when it gets the cover put on the 240v power is trickle charging the batteries

l have a 195w solar panel mounted on my carport roof just to charge the van batteries, as the panels on the roof of the van are to close to the carport ceiling to have any effect. l have rewired the van so l have a plug on the outside that feeds into the internal victron solar charger. it appears to work quite well ono problems over the past few years.

Perhaps a few skylights are required. Peter I think you could have a polycarbonate panel sown in to the caravan cover to allow the sunlight in. Same goes for the caravan in the shed, a solarlite polycarbonate panel in the roof might solve the problem.

Perhaps a few skylights are required. Peter I think you could have a polycarbonate panel sown in to the caravan cover to allow the sunlight in. Same goes for the caravan in the shed, a solarlite polycarbonate panel in the roof might solve the problem.
This option is working fine Phil. I already had an Anderson plug wired to the van batteries to connect a portable panel too if needed.
It was a simple process (And cheaper) hooking up the trickle charger panel and PWM.Caravantrickle.jpgCaravantrickle2.jpgCaravantrickle3.jpg

Last edited:
Second set since 2008, I'm happy.;)
Condor, correct me if I'm wrong, do think your comment is because you are a fan of Lithium?
There is no way I will upgrade until all the problems are sorted.
The recent storms in the US saw many EV's catch fire?
This recent report in September, here in Australia leaves a lot of questions about safety?
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-09-17/qld-lithium-ion-battery-fires-risk/101428618
Absolutely you need to be careful with lithium ion batteries.

However I’m not sure that the batteries popularly used in 4wd’ s and vans are the same animal. I thought the lithium iron phosphate battery, (also known as a LiFePO4 batteries), were a different thing altogether. I’ve seen how some of the newer ones can now be installed in the cabin, under the bonnet, or pretty much anywhere. They don’t leak, don’t emit fumes and are (supposedly) pretty stable.

Admittedly, I’m going entirely from what I’ve read (usually advertising those same batteries)…

Most LiFePo4 batteries are not suitable for under bonnet installation. I do know that the brand I use, Pylontech, are in the process of releasing a cold cranker lithium, as my mate has had one for a while on test. Not sure I would want to install one just yet. :) That said, "Careful" applies to most battery types when handling, charging and using.

As I have said before, "misuse and abuse = BOMB" My lithiums are under the van bed, I'm comfortable sleeping on it lol.

Latest posts