Snakes and permissions for old paddocks

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm not too fussed overall about snakes. I'm comfortable with them in general but I'd just like to not be a statistic as I start wandering deeper out of town for spots. I've done a ton of parks lately and I've spotted some tree lines and would like to do something different.

How do you guys go about getting permissions for spots on paddocks with no houses anymore? This spot is in an industrial area and no one lives on the property but it has an old fence around it, although I think it's been removed or damaged in a few spots.

It's also covered in a bunch of tall grass and am wondering what I need to not do to avoid getting bit by any nope ropes. The snakes I'm familiar with are from another continent so I don't wanna trick myself into thinking I know more than I do.

Are gaiters a must in the tall grass? Or is the tall grass not even the area I need to be cautious. I've heard a few variations and want to get it straight.

In long grass I'd be wearing gaiters regardless of the likelihood of snakes.
Gaiters will also keep burrs out, water from wet grass etc. so even in winter can be good to wear in tall grasses. In summer they also keep the burrs etc. out + offer some extra protection if you are unlucky enough to tread on a snake - very few people actually get bitten like this. More people get bitten trying to kill or catch the snake. Good ankle height boots & long trousers are a must in these areas IMO.

To find the property owner or managers you will need to do some research which might differ depending on state. Basically you will need to find the address as a minimum but the lot no. & DP number can be needed. Most states have websites where titles information can be found & even basic ownership details.
Local Council might sometimes be able to help track down owners or managers of land too. In some cases you'll have to contact the Lands Dept. of your state.

Thanks for the responses haha. I see some good spots and I just don't want to trespass and make things any more difficult for others enjoying the hobby.

I'm not really concerned about snakes "coming to get me" I just want to make sure there isn't anything obvious I'd be overlooking in new territory.

I guess I have to call some council's, do some research, and pick up some gaiters.

I always wear gaitors. I don't know where you are located or where you're going, but don't get caught in a false sense of security with snakes in the cooler months. Generally they aren't active in winter as Aussie snakes Brumate (Slow down and use stored fat to survive). Aussie snakes don't hibernate like they do on other continents. But around warmer areas and coastlines they still come out on sunnier days during winter to find somewhere to bask in the sun if they can, and if you step on one it will bite you just the same as in summer, with the same toxicity in its venom. Ditto if you move a log, rock, sheet of tin or whatever out of the way to uncover one.

My sister who lives near Mogo, NSW spotted a brown snake (Or maybe she said Tiger snake, cant quite remember) yesterday in 9 degree weather.
It convinced me enough to wear gaitors next time.

Only a few weeks ago I removed a baby brown snake from our muster area at work. It was at night & cool enough that I was wearing a jacket. Browns are one of the first to retreat from the cold so it surprised me.
Have also heard of Red Bellied Blacks sunning themselves in winter on warmer days. A few years ago I seen a photo of a snake sunning itself with snow visible on nearby ground. It was said to have been taken in Oberon NSW & was of a Tiger snake although I believe it was more likely to be a Copperhead.
I'm still wary of the buggers in winter especially if digging around rocky areas. Wouldn't like to shake hands with a Brown or Tiger even if it was half asleep :p

Yeah good message, 6.5 foot brown snake at friends down the road a few days ago, but no frosts yet which usually push them into hiding a bit more.

Trespass and public liability have kind of made the world go a bit nuts, usually i start right at the place with the neighbours, or closest house etc, but im sure this will be the same. Chances are if its zoned industrial there will be few problems with access, maybe take a whipper snipper in as good will.

Kinda get polar responses when asking permission its usually a solid no, or a hearty go right ahead. But as mentioned public liability has owners super wary of strangers roaming in their land, and I totally relate to their concern.

How do you guys go about getting permissions for spots on paddocks with no houses anymore? It is so ez, i can tell about it in P.S>

Latest posts