Snake sightings, encounters and reminders.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good advice.
I got bitten by a red belly black snake last year in Ballarat.

These buggers like in this picture
i found just are not happy to see you at all. :rolleyes:
1504441804_tiger_snake.jpg

ktmman said:
stoyve said:
Good advice.
I got bitten by a red belly black snake last year in Ballarat.
How did it turn out? Did you get sick or was it a dry bite?

They found its venom in me but apparently not a great deal.
I had a lot of muscle pain for the next few months and would get headaches but l fully recovered.
Cheers Steve

I reckon they never really go to sleep. I came across one still out and about in June this year whilst walking up a hill to a mine.
tathradj said:
i found just are not happy to see you at all. roll
Yes those strippy blokes seem to have a particularly large chip on their shoulders :rolleyes:

Tathradj said:
i found just are not happy to see you at all. :rolleyes:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/2436/1504441804_tiger_snake.jpg

Someone my Cousin knew got tagged by one of them as he was climbing through a barb wire fence, Got him right in the thigh, when he told me I never climbed through a BW fence again, His account of it made my blood run cold.

I have had so many close calls with snakes it's not funny, So much so that I started checking everywhere I went,

Here is a WiKi list of some folks who didn't make it since before the 50's

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_snake_bites_in_Australia

J.

In all the time I spent fishing in NSW, in the bush everywhere in Australia, Ive never seen a tiger! Thank bloody god!
I once watch the feeding of a king cobra at singapore zoo, it was bloody huge! Spoke to the bloke who fed it, and mentioned that when it reared up, the whole crowd took a step back, me included! The handler then told me how intelligent king cobras are, and that he has never felt scared feeding it, he also told me the snake he feared the most in the qorld was the Australian tiger snake.

Had a few encounters myself over the years . . . . .

Last was a month ago when me and the mate woke a coastal taipan asleep in the in the middle of a town walking track ........ he got a little bit upset about us approaching and came in our direction at first before turning away! It put the sh#^s right up me - it gave a quick flick that sent leaves flying then came down the side of the track that I was on, got to about 6 feet away then turned and went of into the bush!

Was telling another friend about it and he said he'd seen one at the other end of the walking track about a week or so before. The track runs alongside a permanent creek through a preservation area that looks to have been worked, and has a lot of interesting geology to it . . . . . . . . needless to say I keep me eyes and ears pealed in that area now!

We have a resident coastal taipan in our backyard atm in boyne island thats keeps poping up when you mow the lawn or hang the clothes. Kids have been under house arrest till its removed.

G'Day tyrion - your just down the road from us!

Geez tyrion I'd be takin big steps to get him outta there! They possess the third most toxic land snake venom known . . . . last thing you'd want is for him to find his way inside!! And there'll probably be a few babies poppin up real soon!!!!

Hope you haven't got one of those big sandstone block retaining walls that have been springing up around here for the last couple of years - best snake habitat I've ever seen!

Hey rotor,
yeah we do have a small sand stone retainer and the kids cubby house aswell.

1504492224_1504491466_img_20170904_121647_01.jpg

Have called the snake catchers but was told theres no point them comming out unless its settled in the one spot for a while. Or the chances of finding it are slim. So im considering making a snake trap ive seen. But im hoping it moves on soon as the neighbours dogs have been up it a few times.

Very nervous snake the taipan, they do worry me.
Up here we dont see many snakes during the day, but at night they seem to be around. King browns, since the cane toads made it over here, ive only seen 2, had to kill one, as it was in my camp, id been walking past it all night it seems. Western browns, and death adders are really the big 3 we come accross occaisionly, but not often.I came into contact with way more dangerous snakes when i lived down south, and on the east coast.there are records of coastal taipans up here, but im yet to meet anyone whos actually come accross one.
When i lived in Cairns, I used to work for wild life pards, like rainforestation at kauranda and wildworld in Cairns, i used to drive up to the tablelands to cut bluegum and other eucalypts for the koala colonies, and thats where I had my encounters with taipans, always put the wind up me. Marreeba was one place i found them pretty regularly, and also seen them around the creeks near barron falls, as well as some absolutly huge scrub pythons. Seen quite a few eastern browns around the suburbs near holsworthy when i was in the army, nearly bitten by one at east hills, trying to kill it with a broom! Bugger was in my garage.

The Inland Taipan is the worst followed by the Eastern Brown and then the Coastal Taipan, I must have come so close to getting tagged, In one way I am glad I am over here, There is only one snake that is venomous and the is the Adder. they like living in Bracken ferns and in wood land but I have never seen one "Touch Wood". ;)

See here https://www.forestry.gov.uk/forestry/adder

here are heaps of pictures of them,

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=a...Iy4zWAhVsI8AKHZebCBoQiR4IsQE&biw=1301&bih=559

Heres what WiKi say, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vipera_berus

John.

I have been too bloody close (one metre) to a Coastal Taipan at Deep Creek Gympie - also known as "Taipan Alley"'.

My heart rate maxed out !!

Taipans also have the longest fangs (13mm ave) to all other Australian Snakes (4mm ave).

I thinks Taipans are "THE" most venemous snakes in Australia ands also pretty aggresive.

We have ONE legal fossicking area between Brisbane.... north up the coast to Clermont (Central QLD) ...and that is Gympie... the fossicking area in Gympie is also home to the coastal Taipan.

Makes for a 'be alert day' when you dig at Deep Creek Gympie

MikeB05 said:
I have been too bloody close (one metre) to a Coastal Taipan at Deep Creek Gympie - also known as "Taipan Alley"'.

My heart rate maxed out !!

Taipans also have the longest fangs (13mm ave) to all other Australian Snakes (4mm ave).

I thinks Taipans are "THE" most venemous snakes in Australia ands also pretty aggresive.

We have ONE legal fossicking area between Brisbane.... north up the coast to Clermont (Central QLD) ...and that is Gympie... the fossicking area in Gympie is also home to the coastal Taipan.

Makes for a 'be alert day' when you dig at Deep Creek Gympie

It is the Western Taipan or Fierce Snake that is the worlds most venomous, it is not related to the Coastal Taipan and is also not even close to being as dangerous. The Western Taipan is not aggressive and there has been no fatalities from them. The coastal Taipan can have a bit of attitude, they are a great looking snake but in the 7 years we lived at Daintree in FNQ I only saw two of them despite spending most of my time in the bush. Both were on a main road at night and were 100mts apart.
Sounds like there is a good population at Gympie, I believe there are also a lot of other venomous snakes around there as well, definitely be keeping my eyes open if I stop there for a swing.

Latest posts