Snake Gaiters

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Theres a story with these pics

An army patrol came across this sight - the snake had been zapped by the electric fence, and when it tried to fight back, got caught on the wire by the teeth (yes, its a harmless python). The army guys bridged the current, released the snake, then reconnected everything.
Later, they bumped into the landowner and told them the story. Apparently, the landowner was furious as this thing had been eating his lambs for some time.

Like I said. This is a harmless python, but I think Id want more than a pair of gaiters on if this thing tried to latch onto me
1639910099_file.jpg

1639910119_file_2.jpg

Brown and black snakes only have small fangs about 2mm in length they are flat out biting through a decent pair of denim jeans. canvas gaiters are plenty unless your messing with vipers/rattle snakes(USA) I have done a lot of snake handling courses through out the years and they have been very helpful

I still say make plenty of noise when in a suss area. They will usually crawl away. Don't approach a snake if met head on, stand still. Always carry a snake bandage and know how to use them. Always have a uhf radio handy and sat phone if remote. It's very hard to not have an accident like this, be calm and let the rescue people do their job. Take care and have a happy Christmas.

I use a brand of US made gaiters with the following description:

Constructed with polycarbonate and acrylic inserts the Snake Guardz will stop a 3-1-8 lead shot round from a 12 gauge shotgun at 11 metres.

Snake Guardz are manufactured with a range of fabrics encasing polycarbonate and acrylic inserts which stop the fangs of venomous snakes.

They protect to 44cm high and weigh approx. 350 grams each. Snake Guardz are penetration tested to ASTM F 1342-05 specifications(USA).

The fabrics have urethane or DWR applied to the inside surface for water resistance. Snake Guardz secure to the leg of the wearer with 2 x 2.5cm adjustable straps and quick release buckles. They cover the ankle area and lower leg, protecting to a height of 44cm. Snake Guardz have a unique toe extension which covers the laces of the boot or shoe (metatarsal area of the foot) and prevents the possibility of snake fangs becoming tangled in the shoelaces when struck.

Snake Guardz are designed utilizing the convection cooling theory and air circulates freely between the Guardz and the leg of the wearer. Snake Guardz are made in the USA and are truly cool, comfortable leg armour.

Snake Guardz are less prone to being snagged on prickles or brambles as the material is tightly bound onto the inserts leaving no loose material. Snake Guardz are designed to be worn in conjunction with hiking or work boots for effective protection.

They are available in Australia through Powdersafe.com.au at a cost of about $145.

There is NO metal in these units and they are lightweight. I like them because they pass the stringent US penetration tests.

While many Australian snakes have small fangs 3-4 mm, remember that the eastern coastal Taipan and inland Taipans have 11mm fangs (longest in Australia). Having been bailed up by a 9 foot costal taipan that scared the crap out of me I want the best protection I can get.

1640729740_snakeguardz.jpg

Interesting fact :(
"the majority of snakebite fatalities [in Australia] occur around a person's residence within a major city or inner regional area".

If you bitten by an eastern brown or coastal taipan you would want to hope that all your planets are aligned if you going to make it :awful:
Snake handler was bitten by a dugite, compression bandage on within 30 seconds and at hospital within 8 minutes and still had to be put in an induced coma for three days to survive it. And I wonder why I hate the bastards :(
I've had them in the garden shed, in the kitchen, inside washing machine and around yard. Best tally for relocation in a single day is 5 :eek: Tried so called snake repellers but best I've found is some Guinea fowls :Y:

Knightdog1975 said:
Brown and black snakes only have small fangs about 2mm in length they are flat out biting through a decent pair of denim jeans. canvas gaiters are plenty unless your messing with vipers/rattle snakes(USA) I have done a lot of snake handling courses through out the years and they have been very helpful

red belly ..
1640732493_red-bellied-black-snake-fangs.jpg

eastern brown..
1640732517_brown_fang.jpg

cant find any taipan fang photos, their fangs average around 12mm

Jaros said:
I still say make plenty of noise when in a suss area. They will usually crawl away. Don't approach a snake if met head on, stand still. Always carry a snake bandage and know how to use them. Always have a uhf radio handy and sat phone if remote. It's very hard to not have an accident like this, be calm and let the rescue people do their job. Take care and have a happy Christmas.

Good advice. Just remember not all snakes will always bugger-off when you approach - most will, most of the time, but not always.

Ive had king brown snakes in SA actively chase me - I believe this occurs when theyve got eggs in the area (or theyre about to lay eggs). As a kid out setting rabbit traps, these things always kept me on my toes.

The Australian Death Adder is an ambush predator, and will typically lay still and try and rely on its camouflage to remain hidden. The old bush lore was that these things would bite the third person (when walking single-file). The first person annoys them, the second person makes them angry, and they then bite the third person

Diginit said:
Interesting fact :(
"the majority of snakebite fatalities [in Australia] occur around a person's residence within a major city or inner regional area".

If you bitten by an eastern brown or coastal taipan you would want to hope that all your planets are aligned if you going to make it :awful:
Snake handler was bitten by a dugite, compression bandage on within 30 seconds and at hospital within 8 minutes and still had to be put in an induced coma for three days to survive it. And I wonder why I hate the bastards :(
I've had them in the garden shed, in the kitchen, inside washing machine and around yard. Best tally for relocation in a single day is 5 :eek: Tried so called snake repellers but best I've found is some Guinea fowls :Y:

Up in Karratha, we had lots of them in town and out at the various mining camps. In town, I think its the mice and frogs that keep them around. Where there are people, there are always rats & mice. Every second house up there also had a pool. I know we often had so many frogs around, you couldnt hear tv inside, and theyd drive you nuts when trying to sleep.

Out bushwalking though, the only snakes I ever saw, was when I was driving out or back.

I bought a pair of ex-Army gaiters for about $30 a few years ago from an Army Disposal store and are a woven material, light in weight and comfy. I haven’t had a joe blake test them however. Mackka
Anyone on here ever been saved by snake gates?

Anyone on here ever been saved by snake gates?
Great question but I just wear them for a bit of peace of mind, keeps the wife a bit happier as well knowing I wear them, it's not the ones you see that are a problem .... know of blokes that have been bitten and not even knowing it, they thought it was just a twig hitting their leg. Carry compression bandages as well but touch wood haven't needed them ..... so far.

Genuinely interested in snake bite stories.
The only people I know have been bitten at home or doing mundane things like putting the bin out at night. I did read a stories of a bloke bitten while panning, but I think it was his hand or arm that took the bite.

Bloke at work was bitten on his toe in his shed. Very small northern brown snake. Didn't worry about it until 20 minutes later he started going blind and had other problems. He is a big guy, very small snake, off work for 6 months and has health problems to this day, kidney, breathing etc.
Guess I'm just curious as to how many prospectors have had snake encounters. Here in the top end it's mainly a night time problem, days being a bit hot.

I had a mate get bitten by a brown when I was a lad in army cadets. He wasn't wearing gaiters and I think it bit his boot first. He was OK in the end. But I remember him just running after he got bit, he was on the trail just a ahead of me.

My daughter trod on a black last summer. Didn't get bitten though.

I guess my thinking it's especially good when we are out solo, I've had a few close calls.

The price for the ones I posted are not cheap, but if they stop fangs, could be worth it. I'll have a gander at the leather ones, diginit, thanks.

Latest posts