Small Specks and Changing Gravel

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey dudes and dudettes,

Just a few questions here!

Questions:

1) When digging behind some bedrock that was sticking up above the ground I hit a different layer of gravel. The dirt went from small gravel stones/dirt with that brown kinda colour. To larger roundish stones that have been river worn and in all around the rocks it was packed tight with gravel but this time the gravel/dirt had a real grey colour to it and fair size chuncks of quartz. My question being is this grey colour stuff what I should be running?

2) After I pan away all the rubbish I was left with tiny tiny tiny little specks of gold and silver coloured things. I mean like smaller then a grain of sand. What is this stuff?

Cheers!

you should test pan ever layer, as each layer is a flood or heavy rain or even just normal water flow.
there is a chance that the silver could be just that, silver stuck to gold 's, or could be mercury stuck to gold, pyrite many thing's :) and also all depends were your digging mate.... :p

Thanks mate,

I'll have to test it all separate and hopefully I can use it all.

Yeah i thought it might of been some of that guess it doesn't matter too much just thought it was interesting.

Cheers

NSW, Manning Valley, Nowendoc River.

3143'12.24" S 15201'15.22" E

I am only mucking around there. I found one little speck of gold but I didn't expect to find any at all so I was just curious as I might decide to look around there some more. Not expecting to find much more tho.

Dig through the lower rounded layer. You may find mire finer material. Sample along the margines of the layers. You may find as each layer was laid down gold and other minerals were deposited .

I would be trenching each layer until i hit the bottom. Sounds like an interesting spot your working in. Can you put up some pics?

Cheers Tone

Thanks for the advice, I'm thinking of knocking up a El cheapo wooden/Alucobond Hi-Banker just to move more dirt to have a look about.

I don't have any pics atm but I am going up there this weekend so I'll make sure I take some.

Its packed in tight like clay but breaks away like dirt when dug at so I assume it's just dirt.

Cheers.

The top and bottom of each layer are the contact zones.

In between there SHOULD only be trace if there is anything there.

Daniel said:
Hey dudes and dudettes,

Just a few questions here!

Questions:

1) When digging behind some bedrock that was sticking up above the ground I hit a different layer of gravel. The dirt went from small gravel stones/dirt with that brown kinda colour. To larger roundish stones that have been river worn and in all around the rocks it was packed tight with gravel but this time the gravel/dirt had a real grey colour to it and fair size chuncks of quartz. My question being is this grey colour stuff what I should be running?

the grey material with quarts often results from crushing in the area, the fine ground quartz get into the clay and helps break it down I expect very fie gold in this material as its often been stamped and sluiced but 90% was a high capture rate back then

2) After I pan away all the rubbish I was left with tiny tiny tiny little specks of gold and silver coloured things. I mean like smaller then a grain of sand. What is this stuff?
could be anything from pyrite, tin, mercury without seeing a photo pretty hard to comment
Cheers!

Hey kawman, I'm not allowed to take anyone onto this place. The guy who owns it has been fighting off thiefs who have been going to all efforts in the world to break in.. not sure why as there isn't any worth but still due to this the guy won't allow anyone on unless he knows them and if I was to take someone I'd lose my access... that being said if you can think of anywhere else I'd be keen for a dig.

G0lddigg@: I'm not to sure about the crushing. I mean I'm sure there was crushing done further up the creek but not here. Plus there is big rocks surrounded by dirt. Not sure but i just assumed there might of been smaller rocks if there was crushing? But maybe there was I don't really know much haha

golddredge: Yes that's exactly what it looks like! Great description cheers!

Latest posts