Small HighBanker Build [progressive]

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok.... so im easily distracted. Lets get back to the original reason for this post.
Building a mini portable h/banker based on Wal's machine.
Had a day off today so I started to plan the harness I needed. Too difficult to find one fleabay. I was originally looking at modifying one of those baby-backpacks but didnt want to spend $50/$70 dollars on it.
So I took a drive to the thrift shop.I found a regular backpack with a padded back.
I offered them 99cents for it but they saw i had $20 in my pocket [sorry but I couldnt help myself...lol]
Anyway $4 later I brought it home and cut out the harness section
20130407142857.jpg
20130407142904.jpg

Picked up a few carabines along the way and attached them to the harness
20130407145555.jpg

A few quick mods to the box and some threaded eyelets and its done
20130409103205.jpg
20130409162115.jpg
20130409162132.jpg

It sits well on your back and can hardly feel it.

Haha!! Top stuff mate!!!!
Just need hose in one hand, pump in the other, pick on top, shovel ummmmm
Battery on a trailer.... :8 :cool:
Nah, really, great build mate!

Love the backpack idea dude. ;)
I was looking at backpacks at the local tip shop on the weekend might be back there before the end of the week. :)

Wow! Nice job mate. Can't believe you did all the folding etc yourself, looks perfect. Like the idea of PVC legs too. I thought about the mat from gold hog too but went the riffle and moss avenue, be interesting to have a direct comparison between the two from the same build & same location. Now I'm thinking that bread crate setup would be the go instead of the riffles and a little bit cheaper too. Let us know how she goes Chris and hopefully we can watch the kids filling them both one day while we enjoy a cold one.

Cheers,
Copper

Great looking unit Chris :eek: Wish mine was as neat as that. Look forward to seeing it choked up with gold at Tuena mate. ;) That will be light enough to take into secret spot 406. ;) how do you go walkin' with a blindfold on...???Cheers Wal. :)

Awesome Chris :) looks like a commercial unit mate. Can I put an order in now?

So I guess the backpack is custom made for you, now can you custom make one for me to carry the pump and hoses etc.. lol :D
I do have a couple of front packs that we used to carry the babies in if you need them, that way I don't have to carry a thing except for the beer :p

Thanks guys. Im happy with the way it turned out
Joe - As soon as I get the patent sorted [behind Wal's back ] we'll talk
Dozer - No babies...more beer....
Wal - thanks for all the help in the build mate.As for the 'secret spot' and the blindfold you dont have to worry about. I've been known to get lost going around in a circle. My wife is still amazed i can find my way home every night.
No build is complete without a naming party.......so here it is...
20130409133151.jpg

Now lets get this thing dirty... :D :D
Cheers
Chris

Love the name. Does that mean Wal get a percentage of the finds now? :p

So impressed with Wal's high banker design I am going to try my hand at building one for myself, even though I don't have a place to use one yet ! One question though, what is that Ultimat normally used for? Is it outdoor carpet or a door mat? The stores here, (USA) are different and some brand names are different as well. Thanks--

Finder said:
So impressed with Wal's high banker design I am going to try my hand at building one for myself, even though I don't have a place to use one yet ! One question though, what is that Ultimat normally used for? Is it outdoor carpet or a door mat? The stores here, (USA) are different and some brand names are different as well. Thanks--

G'day Finder,

The mats we use are just the coarsest woven rubber "Door" mats you can get your hands on. I prefer the ones that are backed as they are easier to get in and out of the box without distortion. Coarse "miners moss" is OK as well, but i have trouble recommending it, mainly because companies like 3m make them in China, the same way and same components as door mats, and then triple the price because it's for the "Mining" industry. :( ...not a good look.

If your not in an area which produces Sapphires in conjunction with the gold, you can use standard expanded mesh, but i would still recommend you use the crate section between the 2 meshes. Best of luck on your build and I'm more than happy to answer any queries you may have. Hope all is going great for you over there in the States.

Cheers Wal. :)

Finder said:
Hi Finder.
As some of the lads mentioned the Ultimat [ as branded here in Oz] is a tightly woven rubber floor mat. It does have a non-porus backing on it also. Ive taken some pics for you if that may help you in your search.
20130521082804.jpg
20130521083152.jpg

This is a "different" type of matting. Slightly thicker and does NOT have a backing.
20130521083022.jpg

Hope this helps you
Cheers
Chris

Latest posts