Small HighBanker Build [progressive]

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all.
Ive had a H/banker project sitting in the shed for a while now, half completed.The biggest hold back was what I was going to run with it. Do I make riffles and a mat or run the Gold Hog mats? [Same as in the bigger unit].
After watching Wals video on his h/banker I thought that this answers my questions and thought i'd give it a go and build a similar one.
Having already built one out of s/steel i could really appreciate the lightweight ally version.
So on goes the thinking cap and out comes the tape measure.
Ive opted to go for a 860mmLx230mmW
20130227195234.jpg

Now that the sizing is sorted its time to stalk the bread delivery van and "liberate" a bread tray. So up at 5am , donned the balaclava and hid in the bushes at the local servo waiting for the Buttercup truck to roll in. Nah...didnt happen like that. I actually found one on the side of the road but dont let the truth get in the way of a good yarn.This is the first attempt at cutting the sections out
20130225181003.jpg

The unit assembled with the 2 locking angles at the bottom. An ally "c"chanel riveted to a 90degree angle guides the tray to its stop point leaving a void for the material to drop from the hopper.
20130225192719.jpg

Next on the list was building the hopper. Rather than sending the ally out and getting it cut and folded by a pro i chose to do do it myself with a grinder, a vice and 2 pieces of flat steel plate to bend with
20130225192510.jpg

I slightly scored the ally where i wanted to bend it [with the grinder] and pre drilled the rizer holes and some of the support holes on the bottom
20130226182317.jpg

Next step was to assemble the hopper and attach to the sluice
20130228174823.jpg

20130228174900.jpg

Thats the build to this point.
Next I need to sort out the base and frame. Ill post more pics a the build progresses
Cheers
Chris

Fantastic result there Chris, Did you use a torch and aluminum rods for the base?(back) I'll get you to bring your baby for sapphire hunting. Also scored a bread tray but red in color and put it aside for rainy days. After experiencing the fine gold at ford I'm going back to my wheelie bin hopper idea with 4mm holes. :) load it up and go for a coffee.

01062012010.jpg

I can't wait to see the finished product ChrisM, this project of yours excites me as I am planning on building my own soon.

just wanted to take the time to thank Wal for the mesh. It was cut perfectly. Fit like a glove.
As a side note though I had a rethink on the hopper.Looking at the photo below the irrigation riser is a bit too long for the hopper. The only sizes i could get were 300mm and 450mm. So in hindsight I should've built the hopper according to the available pipe size. The problem is easily fixed with a spacer or two, but if it could be avoided it makes for a tidy finish.
Managed to get time this morning to cut the ally for the leg supports
20130311200645.jpg

Chris you can do what i did, cut the end and use plug as per pic below.

photo13sj.jpg

ChrisM said:
just wanted to take the time to thank Wal for the mesh. It was cut perfectly. Fit like a glove.
As a side note though I had a rethink on the hopper.Looking at the photo below the irrigation riser is a bit too long for the hopper. The only sizes i could get were 300mm and 450mm. So in hindsight I should've built the hopper according to the available pipe size. The problem is easily fixed with a spacer or two, but if it could be avoided it makes for a tidy finish.
Managed to get time this morning to cut the ally for the leg supports
http://img541.imageshack.us/img541/2218/20130311200645.jpg

Don't even need spacers Chris....once you fire it up the water pressure on the hose will keep it in the same spot...just push it left or right to suit.....Cheers Wal. :)

i got around that , this is what i did i am using an 1" poly riser i ran some more thread on the cap end ( handy to have a set of pipe dies ) then i cut a 1" to 1" socket in half only cos they are a lot longer than needed and it gives me 2 of 1" lock nuts then put the lock nut on the inside and i can lock it where i want it .multi grips chewed it up a bit but i have 2 of them and it dont need to be pretty.
1363036458_p1010054.jpg

Good to see a few projects on the go & designs inspired by Wal.
I got at least a month of tinkering on my Landcruiser before I get going on my HB project.
Mine also will have some Wal ideas. Them adjustable spray pipes make good sense to me...
Thanks for the heads up re: the standard length pipe risers.

Thanks for the comments guys.
Been a bit hectic lately with too many "other" projects with the kids
First it was a snowman......
snowman1.jpg

Then came the Pyramid......still not finished....
pyramidi.jpg

Mind you i've been given stern deadlines because there's a sarcophagus that needs to be built for my other kids project also !!!!!!
But the reality is i managed to sneak into the garage for an hour while nobody was looking and did a bit on the H/Banker
Managed to attach the leg supports to the sluice. I opted to rivet them in using s/steel rivets for strength.
highbankerlegsupports.jpg

legsuppotrleftview.jpg

And a rough trial using the pvc legs
20130325182720.jpg

And the unit with the electrical tray and spray bar attached
20130325182831.jpg

There"s still a bit more to go before its finished. The manifold has to be cut as do the pvc legs. Some holding brackets need to be made and of course its gotta get a test run [the best part of any build].
If I can sneek out again for a bit its gonna be so close to finishing..... :D :D
Cheers
Chris

Great job Chris! Sorry Wal , didnt know that was your log jam lol, :D I spent two weeks down there dryblowing last month , did pretty well. Biggest was a 0.4g nugget there.
We are running another course at Tuena this weekend Chris, if you an dozer can escape for a play ;).

DD

Ps. Love the school projects mate.

Looks like i need to be a bit more careful with my vids DD.... :eek: .lol .Heading up to bend " 483" at Tuena myself this Weekend....May pop in and say Hello in between hi-banking if time permits...best of luck out there ...Cheers Wal. :)

Haha, haven't seen your vid Wal , but will check it out. The Tuena Sheik (bob) suggested that spot to me actually. Good luck on the weekend, will have to have a beer once digging is finished.

DD

Sounds like a great idea DD...I'll be "banking" about 8ks away from the camping area in town...where's a good spot to meet for a beer...???,Cheers Wal. :)

Have you got enough gold to line the pharaohs tomb or do we have to go and do some more digging? :D

I will be a little busy with the course Dozer, but I can set my highbanker up and you are free to dig as much as you like lol :D We will be camped on the opposite side of the creek with GR if you want to pop in for a beer Wal.

DD

Nice one! Simple design as well which is nice, I'm guessing based off the video walnliz did? Guess I'm going to have to add this to my list of things to build :)

Adam

Latest posts