siphon flow

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reefer

Ross Langlands
Reaction score
Hi peoples...been a long while since I posted here but I'll be heading out over the long w.e. utilising the banker but operating with Siphon power only through a 25mm clear hose!...I can see lot's of raised eyebrows! :p ..I agree it might be a challenge to get anywhere near ideal efficiency but I reason that it's going to be a lot easier than relying on just panning out.Besides the back and knees are not what You would call ideal. I have a few things in mind to try just using the minimal power of gravity, the size pipe we have and what we might find at hand.Our nominal target is twenty, 10.Ltr buckets per day :cool:
It may well be an impossible task...but We'll take a few pics and report back how we went...Of course any input that members have which might assist us in our endeavour... :lol: :lol: is keenly sought and everything will be gleefully considered. :p ]:D Anything we learn of a useful or innovative nature we will seek to share with y'all. :Y: Cheers!

You would be far better off getting a croc gold fluid bed sluice if would want to do that sort of thing. A siphon may help with the flow but it certainly would not power a highbanker. The fluid bed is easier to carry, set and clean out. 20 buckets a day would not be a problem even for the smallest one which is what I use. Also is you are keen on a highbanker make a small one and use a 2,000g or more bilge pump with a deep cycle marine battery setup.

Araluen

Finding an ideal location for the drop will be key , you will need the hieght of your banker plus a foot or two to achieve flow , the more drop the more volume of water ,
the way i have achieved siphon is to have a cap that seals one end ,
Submerge the entire pipe until all air is replaced with water,
Cap the down stream end and haul pipe over the wier and into position,
Remove cap and let it flow ,
I have done this with 2 inch and also 4 inch , 4 is bloody heavy when full.

Finding a spot with enough fall that doesnt need to much pipe would be a challenge, you must use hard pipe as soft hose can suck itself flat.

There are places overseas where they dredge using just siphon flow. It's completely illegal here in Aus(still dredging), but it certainly shows that it's possible in the right area to get enough water pressure to power a highbanker.
Might need a pretty long and or thick hose to do it well though.

Latest posts