silver coloured mineral in rock???

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Just after a bit of advice. I have been looking around some old silver mines and found a piece of quartz. When I cracked it open it had this silvery coloured mineral inside. Just wondering if this is what natural silver looks like and can you crush it and pan it out like gold???
Willo1.

1397385295_20140413_2021581.jpg

Looks like Molybdenite.
What area did you find it??
There are deposits on Black Range near Bega, Tantawangelo.

Found it out the back of Moruya. The mine maps indicate that there were both gold and silver mines in the area. Not sure what they were mining at the mine I was looking around.

Could be Arsenopyrite, which is a common pathfinder mineral for gold. Tends to have a garlic smell when scratched, just don't lick it. ;)

Hi Willo1

Yeah I have a book on the mine you were at
They got a lot of silver there and some gold too
But there were other minerals that they got as well but not sure what they were

Another possibility is pyrrhotite, it is similar to pyrite, but paler in appearance and magnetic (try out a small magnet).

Thanks for all the help. I will give the magnet and scratch test a go. But must admit, it does look like it wants to be licked.. :lol:

Well, it was a negative result for both the magnet and scratch test..

Anyway, heading back there tomorrow, with the detector to see if there are any relics / coins about and to have a scratch through the mullock heaps.

My guess is arsenopyrite too. Don't reckon it is Pyrrhotite , here is a chunk I have of that.

b4b40f78.jpg

DD

Ps the gold around Moruya is very fine like most other granite areas eg Reedy ck. probably not the best spot to detect, better of at mogo or nerrigundah.

DD

Latest posts