should i buy safari or etrac

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hey guys me again :).hope I not annoying people with all these posts .

just a quick question I was looking at a ctx 3030 but have heard good reviews about the safari and the etrac .I am kinda leaning toward the safari or the etrac but a few things concern me about getting the etrac a few people have told me it has a very steep learning curb and one of my mates has had one for a year now and told me if he hadn't of got it he would go with the safari apparently they are very similar in depth but the etrac has more options .

whats you guys thoughts on both machines .I think they both use fbs not sure if that's any better than vlf but yeh :).

etrac, has better target ID Safari is dumbed down version of etrac. No learning with FBS, pick it up and dig the sweet sweet flute sounds of silver

For the $400 difference, I'd personally go for the Etrac. If just starting out and learning, the Safari may be easier to live with, considering it displays what the actual target may be vs using VDI numbers, whilst still retaining the FBS depth and wet sand capabilities of its more expensive alternatives.

1407896876_attachment-1.jpeg

As mentioned previously, the more expensive FBS detectors like the Etrac have the smartfind screen, and also display the ferrous/conductive properties of the target which is very useful - a bit like the VDI numbers on the 705, just a more detailed analysis of the target properties. They don't show what the target is, you have to use a combination of the tones and vdi numbers to decide whether to dig or not, or use the learn function to accept certain desirable targets.

1407897019_mlet2.jpeg

Be wary though, you only have to read many reviews of the Explorers, Etracs and Safaris to realise that it is a real love/hate relationship with them. Some people just don't understand them, and end up selling them only after a short period of time, whilst others absolutely love them, and wouldn't swap them for the world. They tend to retain their value pretty well, so if you feel it doesn't suit you, there is a chance you can always get a decent chunk of your money back. :)

mike90199 said:
what detector do you use goldpick?.

Explorer SE Pro, it is now discontinued, but is still available in limited numbers from Miners Den for $970, usually $1265. In the scheme of things, it sits between the Safari and Etrac (essentially being replaced by the Etrac), but with the Explorer at that price, and more advanced features, it poses better value than the Safari which is $1300. The Explorer also has a backlit screen, whereas the Safari doesn't, they all share the same coils and shafts, along with the Etrac. It goes deep, and will hands down beat any VLF in the wet sand, it runs near dead quiet. I don't think you could get a better detector with the included features at the current run out price.

Whether you would like it or not, it is hard to say, sometimes the only way to know is to give it a go.

Package included Koss headphones, rechargeable battery pack, charger, spare AA battery pack, lightweight 11" searchcoil, and free shipping until stocks run out.

1407985754_minelab_explorer_se_professional.jpeg

This is my Explorer:

1407986019_img_20140814_124434.jpg

Latest posts