Shady Creek

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All
I wonder if anyone can tell me the best place to access shady creek , I would also like to know if you can find gemstones there. I would also like to know if the creek is deep and how deep will I have to dig down to find bedrock sorry for all the questions.
Thanks Tony

There is no best place mate, Its on the exempt list. Shame cause they got some good gold out of it back in the day. Cheers Balx

Thanks Balx
I will have to go up to Powelltown and try the creeks around there.

Yeah i am going to check it out too, I have heard tooronga carries gems but haven't been to check. Plenty of access there.

Balx I have seen lots of mica in the Toorongo when I have been fishing , I have not looked for gems or gold in it yet. Good luck when you go.

Balx said:
There is no best place mate, Its on the exempt list.

I can't see it on the list bro so IMO it's good to go(I could be wrong...)
Tiz on my list of places to look. Been there a few years ago(off beards track) & didn't notice any bedrock - lots of sandy gravel & that's about it.
Be worth going for a decent look tho...

nah looks like my bad, i would have laid my life that it was on there, I didnt even check I was so confident. They had 2 pubs there with the main road and the gold it boomed for a short time. Well best we check it out.

Balx said:
Well best we check it out.

Back when I went, my go anywhere VB Commodore got in & out no probs Via Beards.
There was a few of them deep spoon drains across the track & a coupla rutty mud sections but none really deep.(Maybe 3 years ago?).
Not sure from the other direction.

A few of us are going to russels next weekend aswell juzz so if you wanna drop by its only 10 minute trip.

Are you at Russels Saturday and sunday , Let me know which day and I will drop by.

Was heading up past that way for a look-see further in the hills; will drop by and say hi too :)

I never put a pan in at Shady yet - was just an explorada trip - bit of scrub driving in the Commo.

Re Russles , I'll see what I got on for the weekend - got an Xmas doo on the Sunday I know that much...
Might see ya's for a bit

FYI Powelltown is great for gemstones. I got a huge quartz crystal (bout the length and width of a toilet roll without the paper on it) plus a really nice citrine, some other bits of crystal and smoky's and a couple of bits of topaz from there about 12 months ago. There is a lot of close but not quite stuff but you get the occasional really nice piece. Not sure about gold in the creeks we were playing in though.

Elbowgrease
What creeks did you go to at Powelltown ,have you got any photos of the gems you found .

Balx said:
A few of us are going to russels next weekend aswell juzz so if you wanna drop by its only 10 minute trip.

I'll probably end up camping elsewhere Balx, somewhere that there's a bit more room for the kids to run around.
Good luck finding that chunky stuff.

Latest posts