Searching for a town to live with work with good prospecting

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys,

My girlfriend and I have come to a conclusion that the Gold Coast is no longer the place we want to be. There is little places for us to prospect here and we are having to travel too far to do what we love (gold prospecting). Further, the work here is very slow at times. I am a painter by trade and was wondering if any of you could propose a good place in NSW or Qld that has plenty of gold prospecting opportunities and loads of work.

I am going to rent out my unit here on the Gold Coast for 6 months and travel around to look for a better place to settle and would love for your suggestions on where we should look?

Your help would be much appreciated.

Thanks heaps!

Smokey Joe

I was planning to come down this summer for a peak Bush Chook but I'm not sure I will find a place to live since I'm not one that likes the cold so much. I was thinking of trying to find a place in NSW or QLD but maybe you are right, maybe I should just come down there and see if I like it before I rule it out. :D :Y:

How is the work situation over there Daveo? I would love to make money from prospecting but I'm just a beginner so would have to work a day job to suoort my habit me thinks.

Kal lives and dies by the gold price so it should be booming at the moment, I've moved to Tassie cos I'm not so keen on the heat but if gold is worth money people should be renovating their houses there.

Plenty of work for Painters in Townsville ATM after the floods.... Work comes in waves on the GC... But a good tradie will always have work... I did, but sometimes I had to travel to Brisbane for my job when there was a lull on the Gold Coast.... Have you tried some of the large Painting Contractors on the Gold Coast? They are always looking for good Tradies to work all over the place....

LW....

Hi LoneWolf,

Yeah I would always have work if I really wanted it but there is a thing called prospecting that doesn't let me over commit my time if you know what I mean. I don't chase big builders or new work so that is why I pay in the slow times. I would prefer to have the work when I want it to allow me time in between to find the shinny. Townsville might be a place I could look but was thinking it may get too hot to be painting there in the summer?

Hi Prooz,

I was actually thinking of coming to look at Clermont but wasn't sure that there would be any work for painters there. Do you mean painting for the mines or just as a TA or something?

If you do look into Townsville for work, finding somewhere to live could be an issue as Rentals that weren't damaged are hard to find... A few Plasterers I know have bought a cheap camper trailer and live on the job site..... I only worked for the 'Big Fellas' in my trade as the smaller ones always had issues...

LW....

smokeyjoe said:
Hi Prooz,

I was actually thinking of coming to look at Clermont but wasn't sure that there would be any work for painters there. Do you mean painting for the mines or just as a TA or something?
Just as a TA in the mines maybe. It was just a thought. It's a nice little town I thought, have been meaning to go back for another detect.

Cheers

Thought it weird when you said work was slow as Painter , then you explained. Not sure its any different anywhere, repaints are always competitive, the country over imo. That said My two main jobs whenever Ive looked for work where Truck driving and Painting, theres always work in one of those two.
I can honestly say very few blokes i know get by on just repaints in Regional Vic, but no big deal, if you can hold your own, spray a bit, and turn up when you say you will you shouldn't have too many problems keeping enough dollars in the pocket and getting the time to get out in the feild in the GT if that was an option, Winter is always a bit slower so probably dovetail nicely.

Ive painted all over regional Vic, and Metro, always work, private and subbing, but blokes tend to drift into the crews. I just changed up from a year with one guy because work was a bit too intermittent doing gov housing, and had my choice of 3 places to go. Went with a guy doing new work who was on his own, havent missed a day since, he got his Saturdays back and i dont like working weekends and holidays that much, but we could easily go 7 days if we wanted to.

Good luck whatever you choose mate but if you willing to put in an honest day when needed im sure the Vic Goldfeilds is a safe option :Y:

It's a very hard question...if i knew the answer i would be there already...lived on gold coast on n off for the last 15 year's.... been all over the place... the further U go out bush the better for your prospecting.but the less chance of a good job....... Tassie is great.....but cold...as Victoria....go north ... excellent in winter...then heat n humidity....if you can handle it...go to Kalgoorlie.... West Aust ..... even just for a look...so many places to check out....

I second Ballarat because my girlfriend and I are looking to do the same thing. We are tired of driving an hour and a half and want to get closer to the Golden Triangle and we have been looking at places in Ballarat and Wendouree.

Yeah the 1st link is a ripper :Y: just a reflection of how it is everywhere as far as the Worry reports are stated. Ballarat and Bendigo aren't any different in the worry department same as the Con Coast (Gold Coast) or any other joint. Do your best but when ya Mug numbers up you'll be mugged no matter where you are.

As for a place to live with limited travel time to the gold with employment options Bendigo and Ballarat are as good as it can be anywhere, both are bloody cold in winter. Only during the artic cold fronts other than that there bearable as far as Gold goes well it's the same as a 1 horse town you've gotta be on the top of it.

Yes true RM, Crime is where you find it.... I had to insert Gold Coast, just to see what the numbers are.. :eek: ..
:( Hmmmm maybe a tree change coming up for Mrs Wolf and Myself early next year...

LW....

Latest posts