School Me on Smart Tv's

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We might be in the market for a new tv and pvr :/

I pretty much think an Android based system would be best for me since I can work with linux ;) a bit.

My main questions are:-

Can you record 1 program while you watch another (free to air )
Can you record more than 1program at a time while watching another (free to air )
Which apps work the best for doing this

or do I have to get a separate pvr do do this sort of thing ?

Be gentle please , I've just got past using a goose feather and ink :8

I actually cant answer your questions above.

All I can say is we have a Samsung smart tv and it is the SLOWEST piece of crap ever. Would never buy another one.

Spend some time in the shops and go through their functions, actually turn them on and see how quick they are from scratch, etc.

Good luck :Y:

Topfield is a decent brand for pvr's but make sure you go with a twin or quad tuner so you can watch the other free to air channels while recording another or others (depending on how many tuners and recording devices are connected). If you wanted to record say 2 different channels at once in just the pvr you would need to get 1 with twin hard drives as well.

You must have something besides free to air, I am struggling to find anything to watch let alone record that does not include more ads than program content, someone cooking, supposed building, someone trying to get a quick marriage, it all seems to be mind numbing, even the SBS movie channel are repeated for weeks at a time. We did try pay TV for a while and it was no better, do not like paying to see ads I can see for free elsewhere, so that went.

Couple of years ago we purchased a TCL a supposed smart TV, they are rubbish, lots of times now on startup it just comes up with a black screen. Only smart thing I can see was that the retailer was smart enough to assure us that it was as good as any other brand and we got conned. I have taken to doing crosswords and the wife sits and reads a lot, sometimes watch the news, but wonder how news of an impeachment can outrank happenings in Australia and one weather man on 10 claims that he has delivered wonderful weather for all, so I have worked out that he is to blame for the drought in NSW :lol: :lol: .

Graham

A Smart TV is an internet TV that also be used with an aerial for free to air channels if the internet is off or not working.
you should be connected to the internet and then you can stream AD free movies and documentaries from Netflix, Stan and HBO, etc on demand (ie when selected you can watch, stop, rewind movies etc.) if you choose Foxtell then everything is chopped up with advertisements and previews of other shows. Foxtell can be expensive, but Netflix is about $10.00 per month and you can choose from hundreds of movies. You cannot download from Netflix so you dont need a PVR. If you want to record free to Air TV, the buy a hard drive to record to straight from the TV

So a. You need the internet
b. Log in to a service such as Netflix.
c. Watch Ad Free content whenever you wish
d. Watch free to air TV as broadcast
e. Buy a Hard Drive to record Free to Air

regards Ned

I had a smart tv about 20 years ago, every time I adjusted the vertical hold it got 'smart' and started rolling again.

I outsmarted the mongrel thing and fixed the problem with my axe - no more rolling.

1572988904_05_the_axe_in_the_tv.jpg

Smart tv's are so sloooow. I have one but it's not very smart. Nothing worth recording except maybe All4 Adventures. Trying to type in what you are searching for is stupid slow. Your better off using a pc.

We have a multi tuner which can record 2 chanels while watching a third. Yes we only have free tv, but we use it to record anything we may want to watch and then watch it later and fast forward the adds. Even do it with news and current affairs. Cuts out 50% of the program time.

There is just so much crap on tv.
I have a Fetch TV box which with subscription offers about 30 channels of which about 4 are useful, but even then only on occassion.
Had Netflix for 12mths after which they advised the subscription was going up to $16 so I unpolitely told em to shove it. Had a 1mth trial again just recently after they kept begging me to come back. Before the month was up i had decided there is only so many times you can watch the same movie. Its just full of crap content.
YouTube is better content and free!

Get half-decent "dumb" TV, a semi-decent laptop + wireless keyboard & mouse, connect the two using a HDMI cable, download "Stemio" onto laptop = enjoy any series/movie for free. Use Youtube for other casual content.

I honestly can't comprehend how anyone can watch the utter crap on free-to-air, and then on top of that you have the ads.

xcvator said:
We might be in the market for a new tv and pvr :/

I pretty much think an Android based system would be best for me since I can work with linux ;) a bit.

My main questions are:-

Can you record 1 program while you watch another (free to air )
Can you record more than 1program at a time while watching another (free to air )
Which apps work the best for doing this

or do I have to get a separate pvr do do this sort of thing ?

Be gentle please , I've just got past using a goose feather and ink :8
We have a "Smart TV" & don't mind it. It's a cheaper one - Toshiba but seems to work ok for us. Has Netflix & YouTube pre-installed. Freezes up on YouTube or Netflix sometimes which can be a pain but it's rare.
I record free to air shows on mine to a USB drive & can record one program + watch another. It's all done via the inbuilt Media app on the TV.
Recording shows has pretty much become obsolete now though with things like Freeview & other free to air channels having watch on demand apps.
We also use a Telstra TV box with ours which has a heap more free + pay for apps like Telstra box office movies, Stan, free to air channel watch on demand apps, Vimeo, Foxtel etc. etc. Good if you're a Telstra customer & usually free to get one.
The kids love it all but I rarely get a say in what to watch :(

Ned said:
A Smart TV is an internet TV that also be used with an aerial for free to air channels if the internet is off or not working.
you should be connected to the internet and then you can stream AD free movies and documentaries from Netflix, Stan and HBO, etc on demand (ie when selected you can watch, stop, rewind movies etc.) if you choose Foxtell then everything is chopped up with advertisements and previews of other shows. Foxtell can be expensive, but Netflix is about $10.00 per month and you can choose from hundreds of movies. You cannot download from Netflix so you dont need a PVR. If you want to record free to Air TV, the buy a hard drive to record to straight from the TV

So a. You need the internet
b. Log in to a service such as Netflix.
c. Watch Ad Free content whenever you wish
d. Watch free to air TV as broadcast
e. Buy a Hard Drive to record Free to Air

regards Ned

Agree totally, we rarely watch commercial programs and got rid of Foxtel when the ads arrived. We follow Neds a,b,c,d,e.
Netflix - La Reina del Sur (recommended if you don't mind violence, drugs & sex.) 130 episodes, we watched two a night and finished last Monday. Fell in love with Patsy unfortunately she committed suicide. 8.(

Ded Driver said:
There is just so much crap on tv.

Had Netflix for 12mths after which they advised the subscription was going up to $16 so I unpolitely told em to shove it. Had a 1mth trial again just recently after they kept begging me to come back. Before the month was up i had decided there is only so many times you can watch the same movie. Its just full of crap content.
YouTube is better content and free!

DD, You must have a different Netflix, we can find more than enough on Netflix although we have never watched movies.
$10/month because we can only watch one TV at any time. Hooked up to a Humax works a treat. Whoohoo!! Ads are history.
Have watched a few GPZ & prospecting shows on Youtube. (Being techo non savvy, got a shock one night when laying in bed looking and flicking through Youtube on mobile and our Smart TV fired up. Jumped out of bed and found a Youtube was playing on TV. Much fiddling I realised Youtube can be projected to TV if you hit the right button.
The :poop: you mention is on commercial TV, ads & Home and Away and more. ROFPMSL

At the moment we record a lot of free to air programs just so we can watch them later and f/f thru the adds, with "catch up tv" I guess you're stuck with all the adds again.
Iview from channel 2 would be ok, they are producing some brilliant series and no adds

I like the Samsung QLED's, really great TV, a bit pricey but works great. Mine had a screen issue the other week, was a month out of warranty, Samsung had a tech here within 24hrs and replaced the screen free of charge, can't complain about the service.

I bought a HD,DVD REC? a while ago, great. Rec 2 channels at once. Edit adds out, burn it onto DVD etc. Flick over to other input to watch a 3rd show at same time.
Kid took it to her play room.... grrr.
But it is easier to have compatible/same brand for ease. We m e remotes etc.
Simple rec function etc.

Latest posts