Sampling Methods, and Covenants

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok Guys

This is a simple methodical approach I take when in the field. Give it whatever name suits. As we discussed in looming the procedure I utilise has been detailed but here are a couple covenants or key points I feel from expeirence that any process or approach takes.

1. Ascend/Descend or Traverse With any feature it is far easier to traverse the feature in a linear fashion, then to vertical ascent and descend the feature, especially under load or duress. Two transversing also simplifies the process of staggering you sample points, benefit, less samples required, by staggering you cover the ground alternatively.

2. Staying Methodical, No it's no being anal as such. If you look at the screen shot for instance you can easily determine what samples were in what run, look at the pattern of sampling. Makes future research and evaluation much easier.

3. Control Group, You must establish a control group as such, that is a perimeter of samples with a nil return, if you don't get it, go back and extend your search in those areas till you do, otherwise the lead/deposit/reef, may not be even in the area of your search. Your picking up pennies when it could be pounds. Be sure that whatever is the source is within your search area.

And if any you feel that this or any other information assist you in making a find that is worthwhile, don't thank me, Remember the Salvo's, cause most prospectors did hard, there are still people doing hard, and the sally's help.

This was an actual prospect.

Place: Adelong, Not far from the challenger Mine

The aspect: Standing a the southern extent or feature.

The area: A gully which according to documented mining activity saw no registered activity, but activity was registered either side

Previous: Yeah I had done both sides over the old mining grounds

Duration: Was about 7 1/2 hours from arrival to depart, concluded.

Square Area of Sample: 1.25km2

I have included my field notes, basically a lot of short hand on observations and results. But the interest should focus on the process, you'll note sample points, sample containers, field test results.

Where did I go wrong on this one. Basically I had a predetermined idea in my mind based on the lithology and History of the area of what should be, if mineral was still present, the location, this represented by the first sampling run, I expected results within the first perimeter, where in fact, the results layer with a 10 deviation of my expectation, but 504m North West. So by sticking to a methodical plan and adhering to the covenants I was taught, which are the foundation of the process, it worked out, even if I was wrong with my interpretation.

1390295751_ls117.jpg

1390296366_page_1.jpg

1390296386_page_2.jpg

It amazes me the amount time of effort you put into working an area, thanks for sharing your method and I hope someday you're rewarded for all your hard work and perseverance.

interesting

i see your point with avoiding ascent / descent , traverse is way less effort so you will be covering more ground due to speed and energy consumed.

One point though .

If most fault line / reefs in australia face North - South ( or within 19 degrees due to previous shifts in the earths poles ) , then should we also take that into account when plotting a loaming / survey course ?

There might be days where you get lucky and a traverse method will also intersect with the probable reef position , but other days you might choose to adjust the route to favour intersecting the geology instead of the geography ?

and of course there will be features where seismic upheavals over the last 60 million plus years have distorted the original levels and sheared or bent faults through another axis too , and changes to geography ( like a downhill slope below a reef ) would make that slope the new point of focus to traverse across

The above contemplations would probably be assessed by an expert in 3 minutes and they would choose an option that the rest of us would fart around with for a day or three

:D

Hi heads up

I would just say at this stage, like when you start talking about faults, the appropriate action will depend on whether it's a reverse, thrust, normal or transcurrent. I think you need to work which everyway suits you, jesus, I am starting to feel my age, for a bandolier of six samples can come in at nearly 12 kilo's. To be honest my other consideration is to start and hopefully finish each bandolier at a point where by I can reach it in the truck, lazy in my old age.

Topo does play a large role in your decision, but if you start and stay methodical about it, it really makes no difference which way you do it, unless of course your chasing a particular geological feature.

But your are right. As far as your assertions on a 3 min decision, well, for me it can take a beer or two, contemplation about the temperature and how keen I am.

I suppose headsup, the true key point, if people take nothing else out of it, is to establish a control group, know you have the horses in the paddock first.

Village said:
I suppose headsup, the true key point, if people take nothing else out of it, is to establish a control group, know you have the horses in the paddock first.

I hear you

but to be honest i would be in the farting around for ages group until i got some bits right

there are so many factors that comprise not only the course you plot , but also the spots you choose to sample from .

i have so much to learn and in reality not enough time to start it at my age , i just have to settle for some degree of pot luck , intuition and hard spadework in the field.

good luck out there mate and thanks for sharing

I think you would be hard pressed not to see a geological report in the area your looking at, or at leasta guide of the supposed area. Its more a case of using those principles to help define your initial starting point. I would have saved many hours of my life if i understood that principle earlier. I spent a good year not understanding a particular area, that's a long time to be well, wasting. But in this ditigal age there's really no excuse.

What I've learnt about gold over the years Headsup is that, it has a good dollar value because it is rare, to obtain it, it is a simple equation, volume of material processed. That freak finds are exactly that, freaky finds and no science is going to improve your odds. That Gold Fever is a true medical condition, and that you need to be sure that if you get it, you keep it in check, bit like golden staff really, noone can treat but it be lived with, with some form of control.

As for farting, lounge ok, I blame the dog, bed no go, I end up sleep with th edog.

Is that showing the concentration increasing in the gully above the Sawpit, or am I looking at the wrong result column.
My dog has a wind problem & I have the fever.
Thanks for another educational post.

G day slowflo

the column headed Col No, was the total amount of colour in the pan for that sample, if there is a number in the next column like 9/16 with an N in a circle, this represents the total of nugget type colours in the pan for the sample. well if you were plot the numbers next to the sample locations you start to get a pattern of sorts. The pointy CAU-01 was the host, a small dement gold intrusion in, what was an off shoot quartz vein. It was only minor and I did exact it till there was nothing left. But the find was across the gully from my intended location, or perceived pay zone. Total yield including all samples was 116 grams.

I used the illustration as it was actual, and you will notice the watercourse from points 19 to 41. Most would have concentrated their efforts on the water source having got colour in the area and done themselves an injustice. Most, not all prospectors that I have observed over time, arrive at a place and wander aimlessly, without plan or preparation. If they do prepare they tend to let the rise in blood pressure with the idea of a sizeable or good find, control their thoughts and process. Whilst one should take in the venue of the days prospect, either over a coffee or a sherbet, you should develop a search plan, even if only a mental plan,

Latest posts