Sacking an Employee

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twapster

Peter
Reaction score
Ok guys since we are in general discussion, can I ask a non prospecting question? I have to sack an employee tomorrow for pilfering. For some people that's an easy task but for me its not that easy. He's sprung, i've got it on tape, and 100% he's gone tomorrow. I feel really bad about it even though he has to go. I'm wondering if anyone else has been in a similar predicament?

Dont feel bad Twapster, At least he can walk away without police intervention. He wouldnt be walking anywhere if he stole off me he'd be getting carried away.

Cracka

Catching a Theif??
I would not feel so bad about it mate.
Besides, Who is this person hurting?
Answer = Both of you.
Better to put a stop to it now.
Besides, The employee only had to ask first so must not have much if any respect for your property.
Have a witness and sit them down in front of the veiwer and run it.
It is not pleasant catching some one out but after the "Dust" has settled, you will feel better within your self for doing it.
Hardest thing these day's in high performance situations is finding some one who you can trust.

I used to work as Production manager in small electronics firm before I have retired. I have to sack people sometimes. Although I did not feel very good about it, it went with the job. Also almost in all cases the people I have to dismiss were the type of employees that did not fit in, were either lazy or grossly incompetent. Not a trivial decision but sometimes it has to be done.
Karl

Agree hard to trust staff these days just to not do something stupid. Last time I involved cops in a problem, the problem became more of a problem! 3 hours giving witness statements for nothing. Just its not a fun thing to terminate an employee......

I agree with tath, if you are able to bring in the second person do it as it will make you feel more comftable and if they are willing to steal, they may make false statements.

Give them the choice on whether they wish to view the footage, don't just sit them down and say watch this. Go something along the lines of "We have proof on footage of the incident, your welcome to see it if you wish"

Also if it isn't anything major which was stolen don't ask for it back, nice and quick and out the door.

And do it first thing in the morning, saves you stressing about it all day!

Tom.

just remember whatever you do that the employee always wins and gets the gold.
I have 55 staff and can tell you first hand that unless you dot your i's and cross your t's in triplicate it wouldn't matter if he stole your kids he would still get the gold.
Makes me wonder why sometimes , honestly.
Good luck Twapster, if you get away with it mate let me know and I will drink a toast to you !!!!!
( make sure you have a mate or witness with you at the exit/termination interview, write it down and have the thief sign it.)
Bop

As per Digger Tom....

You need to have an unbiased witness / support person... Either your choice OR theirs but both parties need to feel safe...

Most times it is not such a big deal, but things can go funny when you least expect it...

Any 3rd party also need to be aware of any and all confidentiality issues...

Get legal advice before you sack him, the workplace laws are very employee weighted.

It may depend on how many employees you have but in some circumstances the employee must be offered counselling in the first instance.

Crazy laws, I would hate to be an employer.

Tell him about the tape and ask him too quit first then you might not have to sack him at all.

IPhone technology, no need to try burn to a USB with an old DVR, just recorded it on a video on my Phone. So now I have 2 copies!

Magilla said:
Get legal advice before you sack him, the workplace laws are very employee weighted.

It may depend on how many employees you have but in some circumstances the employee must be offered counselling in the first instance.

Crazy laws, I would hate to be an employer.
Theft is pretty black and white. I think it is universally accepted as a instant dismissal.
Twapster,
I caught my own brother steeling from me while I employed him and he was paid way above his grade!
The very next day he was sent bags packing with no explanation. We have not spoken in 4 years.
I have not lost a nights sleep or do I regret sacking him.
It was the ultimate insult and betrayal. My wife and I put everything on the line with our business and he new this!
I will not tolerate theft under any circumstances. If you need money? WORK!
Your employee needs to understand the consequence of his actions.

Ah that old Chestnut. I feel for you mate, its that sort of unpleasantness we could all do without. Most of the time theft is a sackable offence. I doubt there's too much of a grey area here. I've always encouraged resignations but there is always some stubborn individual that wants to fight the system and inevitably it gets messy. I've seen the back of a few good people because of gross errors of judgement but mostly those on the march are deserving of their fate. One young bloke recently I gave a pass to for a sackable offence only managed another 2 weeks before repeating it. I liked the guy but when managing a team you nearly just have to make the tough call the first time and stick with it, otherwise every code of conduct point begins to be flouted and the wheels start to fall off. The only time I've never had any issues in any of the workplaces I was in was when I worked for myself by myself. I hope things run a reasonable course and both parties can move on. The opportunity for diffusing the situation has passed I assume, it would be far better if people could just open up about their needs and issues before it gets to this point.

Its pretty sad when you give someone a good work opportunity and they take advantage of it by thieving. Hey you want something....ask me, need something...ask me, but to nick stuff like you deserve it is a recipe for disaster.

Good morning Twapster,

I'm assuming your business is in NSW, if so this is from the NSW industrial Relations.

Notice periods (National Employment Standards)

Employees period of continuous service with Employer at the end of the day notice is given and the
Period of notice required,
Not more than 1 year
1 week
More than 1 year but not more than 3 years
2 weeks
More than 3 years but not more than 5 years
3 weeks
More than 5 years
4 weeks

An employer is required to give an additional weeks notice if the employee is over 45 and has at least two years of continuous service.

I hope this helps mate.

You can finish them up today but will have to pay the weeks wage.

Set the example to others in your business.

It comes with managing people, not pleasant but necessary.

Good luck mate, let us know how it went without too much detail of course.

Cheers

Craig

Latest posts