Rainfall

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmeroz

Aaron
Reaction score
I dont know if there is any proof or evidence to answer the questions but thought id ask...

How much does a creek/river change after a moderate rainfall?, as in does much gold get washed around really?

If a creek has been cleared out, how many years Or hundreds or years before color would start to show again ?

At the risk of being too vague i can only say that it can really depend on the creek stream or river. One creek i had been in benched out a patch I'd been playing in after three inches of rain, and the prospectors stated playing musical chairs, those downstream came up further back towards where i had been working. In another creek in different area i go back to the same inside bend every season and find more colour even though i cleaned it out last time. Other places that have had dredges run through in times past never show colour again in decent quantities. The only advice i can give is dig a good spot while its "on" and sample for the best colour on any given day, that way if conditions do change you will still be on some colour. It seems like a simple question but there is no real solid answer. The real unknown here is defining the source and how often these renewals of alluvial occur, if the shedding has ceased then there is a finite amount to be found, some deposits may be thousands of years old and take a decent flood to surface, mother nature is mighty powerful in her fury, whole expanses can be changed in a very small window of time.

gold will move about with water and erosion, if the ground is auriferous you can expect concentrations of gold to move into the system. there's no solid answer to this one mate different water, different ground, has it been worked etc. too many variables.

I'm sure if you have any more specific questions there would be many members willing to reply.

Hmm not real sure how to ask more specific. I think you proberly answered it tho GT.

As in, you went back to a spot you cleared out previously and found more..

Has anyone cleared out a pocket/riffle in bed completely to bedrock, then gone back after and found more? And how much rain does it take to move the river down ?

What got me thinking was people saying about waiting or wanting a bit of a flood to move it around. But I also heard that a particular creek was dredged in the 1980's and wondred how much if much at all would return in 30 years or does it take 100 years?

Obviously lots of variables and no real answer to the question, but wondered about other peoples experiances

Interesting questions. Some of the gullies i visit are well frequented or new to me, and so its always worth trying your luck, i pulled a really great haul crevicing downstream of one gully where it had clearly been creviced upstream, i was actually doing a 101 camera shoot to add in here (for education and critiquing) when the good stuff came out. If i put it up well someone would work it out and beat me to any other good ones in the area. That crevice held a particular type of gold that made me think it would fill again in time, but its hard to prove, I can only surmise.

Which leads to flood gold deposits. With enough swell and turbulence a water course can very quickly move some of the lighter free gold around redepositing in good areas within the gold line. I recovered 80 odd specks of flood gold after that three inches of rain (because I'd spent the past 6 hours for zero test panning a few barren gullies in the same area and needed to restore my faith) that were definitely new deposits. I can say this conclusively because i highbanked that same lip of a deep hole to the bedrock only two weeks beforehand. I was methodical and the gravel deposits were "new" arrivals due to the midsize flow since my last visit.

Try looking at stream dynamics and apply these theories in your situation. Worst case scenario sampling is you get zero. I never think of an area as proved or barren by guessing, only by sampling. A massive flood where water courses surge and redefine the stream bed are a definite green light to get out and try your luck, it can yeild good results, but the serious will try and find the old deposits, or accumulated deposits, that's where reward for effort really puts some serious colors in the pan. Finding something that has taken that 30 years (or more maybe hundreds) to accumulate is always on the to do list.

My first nugget was sitting on top of bedrock in the middle of a creek the weekend after a 150mm in a couple of hours type rain event. This was in a heavily frequented creek and there is no way it had been there for long, it was half a gram and I specked it a good few metres away.

I'm off the opinion that any time the creek changes from clear to coloured then gold can be moved or exposed.

Latest posts