Quick sampling ,for dry blower..

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Looking for quick and easy method to sample a couple of buckets before spending a couple of hrs feeding a dry blower..was thinking a Cresswell ,rotopan...Old river beds lots of big gravel and rocks..Bunnings 1/2 inch classifyer,first...will probably test lots of target spots to find what we are looking for..any ideas ..Cheers
1452086052_image.jpeg

Hi this is the method I use to do a lot of sampling,
1 Large bucket, 1 smaller bucket to fit into the larger 1, so there is about 4" plus of clearance between the bottoms of both buckets, the smaller bucket has 6mm holes drill in the base as a classifier.

I use a cordless drill with a mixing paddle attached with a lid for the bucket as shown.

Fill the main bucket with water, put the smaller bucket into main bucket put your sample into the smaller bucket, it can take about 4 kg, use the drill to mix the sample all the heavies & -6mm fall through to the bottom it is a very quick way to reduce your samples to a manageable size in the field, then pan off

From this, "Loaming Sample"

to this which is the oversize, you can see how clean it is.

cheers
Lee

Thanks Lee..I was hoping to work something out so I wouldn't have to pan..even with a rotor pan you still have to pan the end consentrates. I might as well fill up a few buckets and throw it through the dry blower. Till we find something ? If we screen the larger gear out first there shouldn't be too much in the rifle trays ..except gold...Time is limited and and the day flies by so trying to get the most out of the day..

Baldy
Mate the humble pan is really the tool you need to use for your sampling program & should continue to use to ensure you are still on Gold when you are working a run, without proper sampling you could waste a huge amount of time & you could be 1m away from a really good pay streak, the method above really reduces large samples quite quick, from this point you could put the classified material through a small sluice or just pan it off, I use a Garrett Super Sluice to pan off quickly at this point you aren't really concerned about losing a few small bits of flower gold anyway!
cheers
Lee

When we first began dryblowing around Meekatharra came across a couple of fellas using a method which we picked up on.
If you can pick up an old spring single fold up bed frame, position it with only one leg extended, one shoveled onto the screen (up ended it if and when the oversize built up) the other shoveled the resulting fines onto the dry blower.
When you pack up to go back to your camp be sure to swing the detector over the pile of "oversize," we picked up more than one big specie this way. :p

Thanks RC..I appreciate your good advice..will buy some pans..and thanks nightjar,we have got 3-4 inch river stones to seperate so I like your ideas to throw it through a big screen..simple and good..the ground is very dry so it should work well.

Latest posts