pumps for a wal banker

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use 91 at the moment untill it is run in. If using 98 in a Thornado, I would replace the plug with an NJK equivelent
as the "Torch" plugs are, - well, - just - that. LOL

no worries guys I think I will run it in on 98 so its now its meant run or does it tell you to run in on lower grade fuel look like I will have find some good plugs the njk good plug hay nugget what are the heads on the wall

Heads on the wall, in my profile pic? That my friend is a two headed calf which is hanging on the wall in the Nundle Pub :lol:

I run mine on 91 with a touch off 2 stroke oil.
Reason for this is to run it in gently plus let the rings bed in properly.
One teaspoon to 5 litres.
Always done this with small motors.
Do what you want but just give the poor little thing a chance to run in.
I now run mine with semi synthetic oil in it after about 10 hours of running.

Tathradj said:
I run mine on 91 with a touch off 2 stroke oil.
Reason for this is to run it in gently plus let the rings bed in properly.
One teaspoon to 5 litres.
Always done this with small motors.
Do what you want but just give the poor little thing a chance to run in.
I now run mine with semi synthetic oil in it after about 10 hours of running.

This is interesting, I too will be in the market shortly for a cheaper alternative pump for a highbanker, and have been following this thread with interest. No offence to you tathradj I can see the lubrication benefits you intend, but I'd be interested in what others think of this too. Not much of a small engine man myself so pros and cons of this would be interesting to expand on, especially if it's beneficial to the longevity of a cheaper manufactured product.

LOL, No offense taken mate. :)
With small stationary motors especially on a pump it makes a lot of sense to do it.
When you are running either a brand new motor or one that has had a set of rings put in it, you are supposed to vary the revs up and down a bit to help the rings "Bed" in.
Adding a tiny amount of 2 stroke oil will lubricate things just that little bit but not glaze the bore. It is not practical to run backwards and forwards to the pump and vary the
throttle for the first few hours.
I do mean a TINY amount of two stroke.
But as I said, Do what you wish. :cool:

yes mate I agree with you I also add a bit of oil as well, I use left over boat fuel with a bit straight fuel from time to time I will run him slowly sound all good to me I will give him a few runs at home first

Slipped the proprietor a fifty to do it for me....then a little attention after the fact. Better someone that does it for a living than a gold hack, do the same with my saws only i get my brother who's a chain monkey on the job. As has been pointed out, I'm not that keen doing a to a fro and guessing.

Going back on topic after this but when I got mine it reeked of stale fuel and still had some slightly blackened oil in it. I would say that they test ran it in the factory.
Worried me how many motors that oil had been put through then strained and used again.
I flushed it then changed it after the first 5 minutes when I first started it up.

that make sense I will check hopefully it will be hear tomorrow can I ask what did you use as a flushing liquid one thing I learnt over the years is use good band of oil in the motors I found cheap oil in the hilux and it uses it good band oil it uses none

Terry,
I used just plain old engine oil to flush it out first.
First put a heap in it and then shake it around a bit.
Drain it and then fill using a good quality semi synthetic oil like Penrite.
These little air cooled motors run hard, fast, and hot. LOL
Start it up with a garden hose running up the suction spigot on the pump and let it run with a bit of throttle for 5 minutes then shut her down and drain it out.
Refill with fresh oil then run it for the first few hours as you would.
drain the oil after warming it up using the garden hose method then change the oil again.
You can now extend into a good days use but change the oil after about two to 3 tank fulls of fuel.
After about 4 tanks of fuel you can consider it running as normal keep regular maintenance up like change the oil at the regular intervals, Check and clean the
air filter after about every 2 tank fulls of fuel.
I would highly recommend carrying some spare spark plugs, NGK and some replacement starter cord and learn how to replace them both in the field.
This to me is standard practice and if followed will give you piece of mind that you will get at least enough out of it until you can replace it for another.
You might get years out of it but remember it is a "Low End Product". I mean no offense at that but look at the whole picture.
I have done the same thing. PMSL

tathradj thanks mate for your info one thing why do you use semi synthetic oil does the motor run cooler or the oil last longer or its just what you use never had any thing to do with that type of oil. i know its low end but hopefully with a bit of tlc it will last for a while and help me find some gold lol I do look a the full picture that's probably why I ask so many question sorry about that I like fix the cause that way you don't have problem cheers terry

THX Terry. These little air cooled motors can run quite hot and semi synthetic oil does not break down as much as standard oil.
Better lubrication properties hence a longer service life for the motor.
Still change the oil as per normal though.

hi tathradj got the pump check out the oil in it its pretty dirty looking done what you said all good today while out looking for plugs and oil I found a Ongar pump and it had the same motor on it at twice the price with out a few of the trimmings and a Honda the pump body does not look much different thornado haven't run it yet waiting to get some fresh fuel cheers mate thanks for the advice

Your welcome Terry.
Now get her set up and go out and find some good stuff. :D
Above all, enjoy your self...

Hello everyone,

This is Indro from Thornado Team. Our company just joined the forum 1 week ago.

We are very pleased to read the feedback and your experience with our Thornado pump. We believe your feedback and recommendations of the Thornado pump will benefit anyone who is looking for a good quality pump in the market. Especially, nowadays there are so many cheap pumps on the market but the quality is questionable.

Please feel free to contact us on (02) 9755 0889 or email us on [email protected] if you have any questions. If possible, we would like to invite you to leave a review for the thornado product on our website www.thornado.net.au

Thank you,
Indro

Latest posts