Pump intake

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all. Looking to get a new pump after today because the small one I had gave up on me today while at oallen. A nice drive from sydney for all of no highbanking what so ever as it wasn't producing enough flow. Second time a pump of this size has died on me while out on the field both different types and even more frustrating as the one I had today set me back close to $450 from an irrigation store in Sydney. I've had enough of the small ones, I'm looking at going big so I can run it at much lower revs. My question is that the pumps that are the bigger size come with a 2 inch intake. I'm all geared up with 1.5 inch hose and suction. The hose size wouldn't be a problem but will I be able to reduce the intake down to 1.5 inch without too much problem to the pumps performance. Most of the pumps can draw up to 7 meters. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks from a very very frustrated guy

Hay Daniel,
Flow in = flow out.
If you have a 1.5" outlet hose and a 1.5" suction hose there shouldn't be a problem.
The restriction from a long lay flat hose with spray bar attached will be greater than in a semi rigid suction hose of the same size.
You will never require full throttle flow through a 2" pump for any highbanker.
If say you had an 1.5" suction hose and a 2" outlet hose you could run into problems.
You might find the restriction could cause cavitation in the pump or tend to collapse the suction hose.

Hope this helps.

What a bummer, is it the motor that died or the pump that shat itself?

Going up or down a half inch on intake and delivery wont worry your pump at all, down in size will mean better pressure and less work for the motor which is ideal.

I bought an Ozito 'dirty water' submersible from Bunnings ($99) @ 15,000 ltrs/hour, 750 watt, 8m head, 7m max immersion depth.

Run it from a 240v outlet at home on my recirculating Hi=banker setup, and from my 1KVA gen out in the field (handles the 750w pump no probs)

Outlet is 1.5" also.

Put one of the wifes old stockings over intake and place it a 10ltr bucket submerged for stream or dam use.

Being a dirty water pump, the filter system helps to stop any undesirables getting in and the stocking works well as extra protection.

Still going strong, use it most days! Also use it to drain/fill the pool at home and is designed for large water tank transfer!

Have a two stroke pump also, but its bloody loud. The gennie runs much quieter out in the field and at home in the 240 socket it runs almost silently. Can sluice in the garage at night.

Cheers

ive got a honda gx160 firefighter,inlet outlet is 1.5inch, its pretty heavy but at just above idle gives me the flow i need for a 330mm wide sluice/HB. starts first go allways...i paid $750 brand new early this year...about 2lts of fuel for a 6 hour run.

get a furniture trolley with decent size tyres to help get it closer to where ya working if possible. if not i think the only answer is the wx15 wich i intend on buying myself next year but there is still the weight of fuel i have to carry that i save with the bigger pump...hmmmmmm!

The hoses are all the same size 1.5 hard wall intake and about 20m of 1.5 layflat or I can reduce to 1 inch layflat of about 12m cos of today. Originally was 25m but cut it down to see if length was the reason why I wasn't getting any flow. Don't get it was working great over winter and then...... To me I think it is the pump the motor still goes . Pump I'm looking at can deliver 330litres per minute with pump lift of 130metres. Comes with 3 discharge ports. If its too strong I might have to have a valve on one port. What's your thoughts guys

You will get better performance from the pump if you keep the inlet at 2".
Check that the impeller is tight on the shaft and the key is intact.

Check the impeller if it is clogged with debris it will reduce output. Closed impellers which permit the high head may clog.

Whsts actually wrong with the pump mate? I dont believe in dead stuff. If you lost flow or pressure therez gunk in your impeller meaning you sucked up sone fine sand or stones. Even 3 x 2mm stones will prevent flow. If it wont start its spark pkug or not enought pil in the mix if it's 2 stroke. More details. .. im sure we can fix this thing.

Ive never seen a pump die and ive tested some shitterz

Open up the pump & give it a good clean. Make sure when you seal it up well so you're not sucking air or leak water.
There's very little to go wrong with impeller pumps & they're not complicated.
Could be corrosion or a blockage?

I checked all that debris and corrosion and its all good. At the most there is white corrosion at the outlet. But it's so small you can wipe your finger and its gone

I'm sure you checked & double checked everything, but it's gotto be something simple.
Suction hose/joiners sucking in air causing pump to cavitate?

A bigger pump does have some advantages like you said...

I've just gone to a 1.5" 5hp Honda/Davey firefighter pump - heaps of flow/pressure at idle or just above & quiet.

Ok guys just bought the bigger pump. Should be here any day now. It's a twin impeller 7.5 hp 4 stroke delivering 330 litres a minute at 130 meters of head weighing 25 kgs. This pump will be my easy access pump. As for the other pump well I pulled the whole pump section off completely. There is a plate just after the impeller section that has a notch in it that to me stops it from spinning. This is connected to the housing. This has alittle play in it maybe 3mm at either side. Could this be the problem? Other than that all looks good. No scratches or missing seals. Might have to take this one back to the shop with a please explain.

Yeah, my Davey pump has that plastic plate too bout the same as you discribe.

Impeller slots are clean?
I jiggled a piece of wire in mine then blew them out with compressed air.
Should be all good mate.

Danielkrupski said:
If only I knew how from an iPhone

In a post/reply, just click the (blue)picture icon
1418204657_image.jpg

Click choose file. Select the picture, then click done.

Latest posts