Pulse Induction - HELP!!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, I have recently become interested again in gold detecting (I was in the hobby many many years ago). I am trying to decide which detector to buy.
I understand that there are different types of detectors, ones using VLF and others using PI, and this is my problem.
I have found that the PI detectors are much dearer than the VLF, except for the Garrett Infinium.

.e.g. The Infinium sells for approx $1700. and the Minelab PI's are twice that and more.why. (The new Minelab ATX will be about $3400.)

Am I missing something? Is this not a true PI detector or are there some major differences to the dearer units?
The price of the Infinium is the maximum I can spend, so I am steering towards this unit, unless someone can advise me otherwise.

If the Infinium is not recommended then my next choice would be the "AT Gold".

Ant help/advice will be greatly appreciated.

Rob

Whites TDI pro? $2200 quite a good unit will find large deep gold small shallow gold and use all minelab coils picked up on eBay for next to nothing. A new model is ment to be released soon might be worth waiting for.

Sorry, made a little mistake

That should read (The new GARRETT ATX is about $3400.00)

Apologies

Rob

Funny that I just assumed you meant the new minelab that looks like the new garret for around the same price and that does the same thing! that turned me right of the idea of buying either. I'll wait now till next year to see what whites has to offer...

I have an Infinium LS, haven't had a chance to run it in the goldfields yet, mainly beach stuff at this stage which has impressed so far. Yes it is a true PI machine, but probably more of an alrounder, some say the equivalent of the Minelab SD2100. If you are willing to spend that sort of money of a new Infinium, it also puts you in the price range of any of the earlier Minelab SD range of detectors, including the SD2000, 2100v1 & v2, plus the Auto ground balancing SD2200D, these can still be bought in great condition along with many extras, and at a reasonable price.

The Infinium is an older machine now, whilst still capable, the current upper range of Minelab PI machines are more sensitive to smaller gold, and have a lot more adjustability to suit ground conditions than the infinium. On the upside, the infinium coils are a lot cheaper to buy than minelab and other aftermarket coils, it is water/dust proof, so you are not stuck using it in the goldfields, it is lighter and will run for a decent amount of time on AA batteries vs lugging around a large battery pack. It simply doesn't get the airplay that the Minelab machines get here due to Minelab's aggressive marketing campaigns, and the fact that it was originally marketed for US ground conditions vs the minelab ones which were specifically designed to deal with our highly mineralised goldfields.

So there are plenty of options out there to research and get started on, check over the various forums, both in the US and in Oz to get answers, check out you tube videos of detectors in action, download the manuals to see what you are up for regarding the operation of the various detectors, and ask plenty of questions! :)

I Hired the TDi Pro Oz from the guys from Dunolly. For me I found the threshold hum was not as smooth as I liked it.

I hired one with the intent of buying one but I was told thunder or electrical storms could effect it. None were in sight.

Your experience may be different.

I then hired the Minelab 4500 and it was smooth as silk. What a difference and an experience that was to have a

a detector be so quiet on highly mineralised soil.

Last time I used a Minelab was the SD 2200 back in 2000.

Hold on to your money and enjoy the summer and autumn ahead.

There should be at least 20 ATX in the hands of prospectors by the end of Feb - maybe more. BY April more will be sold and feedback by users should start appearing by June the latest. If the ATX is a success in finding the small deep gold then what would one do? Buy a new waterproof Garret ATX for $3300 or spend $3500-$4500 on a second hand Gold PI detector or $6500 on a new Gold PI detector?

I would buy a New Garret ATX and I think a few others would do the same. This could effect the 2nd hand Gold PI detector market and 2nd hand Gold PI detector could drop by $500 in value.

Just remember most gold is buried about 8" and if the ATX can find the small stuff deep then I am happy.

One also needs to remember something is worth something as long as there are people willing to buy. Add new competing products in the mix and the matrix changes.

If this happens then it can effect any price increases for any new PI's introduced in the coming years.

I hope Garrett does not shelve the ATX technology and be content in selling the ATX in its current form.

I hope Garrett starts development improvements for the ATX ASAP and have a machine thats 30% better than the current ATX ready for sale in a year or two.

I hope Whites comes up with another small nugget deep seeking detector that's fully automatic, fool proof and simple to use with a super smooth threshold hum.

If this happens then the PI landscape will change where you no longer have one manufacture control the prospecting detector market like the past 18 or so years.

Hope this helps.

Latest posts