Prospectors Clothing

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ded Driver said:
Its good that everyone has concerns about the camo for prospecting. I was initially looking for better footwear for prospecting (light cool comfortable), but I have a liking for camo clothing for hunting.
In WA there is no legal hunting outside private property, with the exception of station lease owners feral culling. On occasions when im hunting (on private property) I like to think I blend in, & I like the look of camo.
If I were to wear a camo pants or shirt when prospecting, I would also wear something a bit bright for that exact safety reason ... rescue!
rest assured my friends, im no fool. If I got lost it would be because I want to be lost.
ps, I have a large thermal blanket (stays in my 4wd) with a giant 'HELP' emblazoned on the back.
Safety 1st :Y: ;)

I just checked out the link. Love those pants. They look comfy. I have been looking for something lightweight. Some pants are so incredibly heavy and uncomfortable.

madtuna said:
My perentie is cammo and in some places Ive been not 20 metres from it and couldnt see it.

Ditto mate as you know, I carry a marine 'V' sheet and stretch it across the roof so it can be spotted from the air, camo has pluses and minuses, the solar panels do help with some glint, recon everyone should have a hi-viz over vest with them :cool:

I like this one .....!

1538985604_16302b06-0f69-4e1e-bcc6-a403629f6461.jpg

I was going out turquoise mining near Whitfield in Vic on deer shooting season and got warned to wear blaze orange. I wear the fluro jacket and cap whenever I am more than a 100 metres from the car (or intend to be) and insist that the kids do as well. It simply is not worth the risk, one shot is all it takes. Ken.

i have been watching this thread and i am very amused about the reply's that people wear DPCU clothing in the field while prospecting
the comment was made that wearing high viz clothing QUOTE "will not scare the gold away" UNQUOTE was very good and well said
another comment was QUOTE "I have a large thermal blanket (stays in my 4wd) with a giant 'HELP' emblazoned on the back". UNQUOTE
that is brilliant HOWEVER you have to get back to your veh for it to be any use to you if you wonder 500m from you veh what then
not all hunters go and confirm their kills some just shoot and drive off
IE They shoot at 200m and miss the target (a roo) and it hops away HOWEVER you are in the line of fire all dressed in your nice DPCU see me not cloths and cop the round to the chest do you think they will go and look to see if they hit anything behind the missed target (na not a hope in hell) put the foot down and move to the next target
a .308 in the lower back/upper body and i am sure you are going no where
with all the cowboys and their high powered rifles shooting anything that moves
i have said it before and i will say it again get a PLB and carry it on you at all times it will save your life one day
on a final note
if you have ever had someone shot with a small .303 round (and today it is a small round) to the chest and see how quick he bleeds out in front of you and you will understand what i am trying to get across here there is NO walking back to your veh to get to the radio or safety gear you are on the ground pumping blood into the dirt
what you have on your person at the time is what will hopefully save your life or at least get your body home to your loved ones
i have been now wearing high viz clothing in the field for a while now and find i feel safer as i can be seen

i may be shot down in flames over this post but this is only my belief and everyone has a belief that they think is the one and only

go in the field be seen and be safe and come home to your family

x2 luckily I have only seen .303 take out chunk of solid tree trunk all I can say is wow just friggin wow. No walking back from that.

Mark out 500 Metres and then crawl it and see how you go? Then imagine doing it injured and in pain?
You may then see a need for a form of comms and water to be with you at all times :|

madtuna said:
Yep please leave the cammo clothing at home. In some instances it is down right dangerous.
Those gold gypsies need a damn rocket put up them for promoting and selling that stuff :N:

Spot on Madtuna. Camino clothing is designed so y ok effectively brake up your body outline so you are not seen. There is no place for it when prospecting. So unless you are hunting leave it at home. Blaze orange is the best colour in the scrub if you want to be seen

7.62, your points made are logical & very valid.
I would like to add tho (I did partially mention this in an earlier post), the hunting situation & laws in WA are different to most in the East I believe.
Hunting in State Forests, National Parks & essentially all public spaces is banned, hence its mostly limited to private property, unless you get access to a pastoral lease & then the lease holders controls the rules & access, numbers etc.
We don't have deer hunting in WA (although some people do illegally hunt pigs & the couple of wild deer that exist in bush areas ((escapees)).
When I/we go hunting on farmland (with permission) we always do a perimeter check in case someone is there when they shouldn't be, to know where any livestock may be, & to check the backdrop for bullet travel. Rule 1; ALWAYS know where everyone & anyone else is.
We follow VERY strict protocols on gun safety & in my whole life none have ever had an accident.
We always aim for 1 shot kills, but will spend however much time needed to track down wounded animals.
Most hunting is done in open paddocks.
Pig hunting is often done in close quarters & often in scrub, & there is a much higher risk of an attack than getting shot.
The point here is, in WA the risk of getting shot while hunting is very low. (yeah, some idiots have had accidents)
People here rarely (I don't) go hunting alone.
I have many occassions where I might be horse riding or just taking a short hike in the hills alone & most of the time I don't have any comms or safety equip. I grew up this way in the bush. (I have always carried water tho).
I am aware that people hunt in the Blue Mountains in the East, & if/when I venture over there my clothing will be appropriate.

back on my original quest for lightweight, cool & metal-free hiking style boots for prospecting.
They are not easy to find at a reasonable cost (like UNDER $200 would be good)
I did find some nice Carbon Fibre midsole mountaineering boots (with metal eyelets), but the price was on top of Everest
https://www.kathmandu.com.au/mens/footwear/xt-fitzgerald-ngx-unisex-boot.html :eek:
suggestions anybody?

hey 7.62 thanks for the link. That's a good site & those boots do look pretty good, at a bloody good price. Ive saved that site to 'favourites'
I wanted to go no-metal but that's a hard ask. I have found a couple with hard plastic eyelets but they were of dubious quality :awful:
Others were low ankle. As I have old broken bone ankle injuries I need good ankle support, thus 'high boots' (over the yrs (decades)) ive developed a high pain threshold & learnt to ignore it but sneaker style hikers don't cut it.

ShakerGT cheers too. I wear my RMW elastic sides most days but they aren't good for a full day on my feet as they lack ankle support, as explained above. I grew up in elastic sided riding boots & they're my preferred footware but I need more for prospecting, as in high lace-ups

2 other boots I like off the link from 7.62
https://www.military1st.com.au/m800892-magnum-classic-boots-black.html
https://www.military1st.com.au/fot145-bk-highlander-echo-boots-black.html

hi boots are good for the ankles because if you have one you just tighten the boot up a bit more
also a little bit higher is always that much more help for snakes
i know all good detecting boots have no metal in them but they are not the sort of boot i like and the GM1000 dosent seem to mind me wearing them

LMAO so true mate you would be a cripple after a few hundred meters lol
but yes its that word again BUT
cutting the bottom part out add a zipper and you have a good pair of snake gaiters

7.62marksman said:
LMAO so true mate you would be a cripple after a few hundred meters lol t
but yes its that word again BUT
cutting the bottom part out add a zipper and you have a good pair of snake gaiters

good idea 7.62, but I have a pare of snake gaitors (& I don't have these boots anymore) ... but .... I wonder if my other family members (who still compete) would miss their boots :lol:

Sweeper said:
Mark out 500 Metres and then crawl it and see how you go? Then imagine doing it injured and in pain?
You may then see a need for a form of comms and water to be with you at all times :|

approx. 5yrs ago my sister had a full hip replacement, pelvis & leg joint.
told to stay off horses for at least a year.
at 11 months was walking great & felt great, so got on a horse. The horse was a bit skittish so she thought better of the idea & decided to get off.
As she dismounted, her leg (with new joint) didn't clear the saddle, got hooked & she fell, rotating & landing on that leg.
The ball joint has a pin that is inserted into the leg bone from the top.
It split her thigh bone almost to the knee.
She was home alone (yeah, fail, we told her), & had to crawl over 200m to the house to the phone. The agony prevented her from standing & hopping on 1 leg.

So yeah, its would not be fun to get shot by nearly ANY calibre
(I have a 303, my fathers, only ever seen use on the range & hunting)
A good hunter (& they're not all good) will not pull the trigger until a target is clearly identified.
BUT to recap, I WHOLE-HEARTEDLY agree with bright or high-vis for prospecting

Latest posts