Prospectors advised to be wary of unexploded ordinance around Bendigo

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember many years ago during a fire in Kalimna Park Castlemaine and could hear a lot of banging going off ................... after fire reasons found was old ammo :eek:

The article mentioned "near" the cemetary, not actually in it - I gather the surrounding area is open to prospecting.

I think this is just a general warning to fossickers in the area ,i believe the find was not made by a someone detecting in the cemetary .Think a couple of ladies just came across them while in the cemetary .But i to could be wrong

All good. the hand grenades had no explosive capabilities, inert.
The guys were searching for bottles in an old mine behind the cemetery.
The old mine has been used for years as an old tip for everything.
Great place for bottles and very early pottery dumped from the cemetery.
Very large open cut mine.
It is only one block from my place and I have been there loads of times getting some very old pottery.

Always finding old ammo some live some not whipstick rifle range road must have been a big rifle range in the old days doesn't matter were you go off that road there's always some sort of ammo to find.cheers Muk.

Today's urban bushland haul - assume the middle one is the result of bush fire as I can't see the usual 'servicemans bunger' hole in the side of the casing

Also got half a dozen unfired 303 rounds, the one in the photo is unusual as the primer is gone, has ribs in the side of the casing and bullit appears to be steel. Dummy round perhaps ???

1508658959_image.jpg

I found a hospital rubbish dump behind Nuggetty Gully off Fryers Road,Campbells Creek,where I once lived.It was in a large surfaced area behind my house.There were lots of very old small glass bottles which still stink to high heaven today.It may have been dumped there during the gold rush. The original gold assayers office and weatherboard cottage is still on the road next to the gully,but the only hospital has always been in Castlemaine.The smell will never go away and they should have been buried by the hospital which dumped them there.Maybe used for amputating limbs.Did not see any leg bones there thankfully. A family built a house on Crown Land there back in the 1930,s and used to sluice the gully with water collected in a dam up the slope.An old timer and his son lived in an old caravan in the 1980,s and used to grow vegetables and barter with people.He lived till 90 due to the healthy lifestyle and pristine surroundings under the tall grey gums.

Latest posts