Progress with my drop riffles

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tommtb7

Tommy
Reaction score
Well after a slow start I pulled the heat gun apart and noticed the dial for the thermostat wasnt working so once that was fixed I started getting somewhere, here's a pic of where I'm at so far.
1371516132_image.jpg

:D

Looks great mate, but could you explain what you are doing? I'm not up to speed with the project.

Nugget.

Haha I could do that wal but they won't come with a warranty lol. hi nugget, we'll you may of seen my highbanker in other posts on the forum but basically what I'm doin is adding a removable extension for drop riffles, I already have Hungarian riffles with moss and ribbed matting, I figured if I have expanded mesh then angled bar then drop riffles then that will increase my chance of retaining flour gold, the extension flares out to drop the water pressure so the material can gently roll down and do what they do best, I'm not to sure if it will work but I thought I would give it a go.

Thanks Tom. Sorry for my ignorance but what sort of process are you using to make this?

Nugget.

I heat the sheet with a heat gun, the sheet is from bunnings it was $45 and the heat gun I already had but bunnings have them for $30 (I'm a fan of bunnings) then I got a road sign from a recycling emporium which I think is a fancy name for a junk yard. I scored the aluminium road sign with a grinder along the fold marks then just bent it to form a channel with 90 degree bends I made the bends on angles down the entire length to get a flare to drop the water pressure to suit the drop riffle design so if you were looking at it from birds eye view it would look \^/ the arrow shows water direction

Tommtb7 said:
I heat the sheet with a heat gun, the sheet is from bunnings it was $45 and the heat gun I already had but bunnings have them for $30 (I'm a fan of bunnings) then I got a road sign from a recycling emporium which I think is a fancy name for a junk yard. I scored the aluminium road sign with a grinder along the fold marks then just bent it to form a channel with 90 degree bends I made the bends on angles down the entire length to get a flare to drop the water pressure to suit the drop riffle design so if you were looking at it from birds eye view it would look \^/ the arrow shows water direction

Wow, you're a creative fella aren't you :lol:. I'm looking forward to seeing the end result.

Nugget.

I'll keep ya posted nugget, the first riffle was dodgey as so I tweaked the process a bit, it's been a learning curve. Fingers crossed it actually works :|

Here's and update (sorry, I'm a bit excited about this project) all the riffles are moulded just gotta cut it to size and fit it to the aluminium.
1371536798_image.jpg

Looking good Tom!

I'm wondering if a little trap area at the bottom of each drop would be good, so when you turn the water off it doesn't surge or suck out the heavies?
With a MacKirk, you lift out the sluice so the heavies don't move.

Would only need to be a shallow channel - say 3-4mm deep & 5mm in width & my thinking, wouldn't take too much to mold in hmmm...

Just thinkin out loud :rolleyes:

I did have that though ey Marty, it can be done but would be a bit hard, this one tested me. :/

Latest posts