Private number phone calls

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wishfull

Peter Johnson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been getting phone calls up to 3 times a day all about the same time of the day almost every day since December last year. 58 since January 10, before that I was deleting them.
Don't know what to do about it. It seems Telsra won't give out who owns the phone.

I have answered a few and first off there is silence then a click then someone with a foreign english accent asks for me by my first name. That's when I hang up. I have also played loud music to them until they hang up.
They never leave a message on my message bank so obviously it isn't important.

Now another twist since yesterday. I missed a call from a number starting with 8818. I rang back and got what sounded like an old fashioned telephone ringing and then nothing.
I looked up 8818 and discovered that it is a Global mobile iridium satelite system number. Got another missed call again today from the same number.

So what the heck is going on ! I am well and truly over it !

I hate those bloody annoying call's as much as you Whishfull. Not alot can be done about it even the do not call register doesn't cull them all. We have a landline phone with caller ID if I don't recognise the number I simply don't answer. It seems the best way to avoid the mongrels is screen all calls. Technology really is a pain when it comes to these types of calls but also provides the option of screening. After all the mongrels use technology to hunt their target market and they don't give up easily.

Don,t call them back it is a scam and they will milk you dry.
Never call back if it looks a bit dodgy as that lets them in.
Jim

Jaros said:
You can block the number. Is it your cell phone iphone or android or you landline?

It's an android phone S5 Samsung that I am getting these calls on. It won't let me block a private number. I don't have a landline, well, I guess I do seeing as we have WiFi, come to think of it we still have the old bell conected to the old land line and that did ring a few weeks ago. I couldn't work out where the bell was ringing from the other room.

Try this:
Image result for blocking a number on a samsung s5
www.youtube.com
Blocking Calls from a Number:

From the home screen, tap the "Apps" icon.
Tap "Settings"
Go to "Applications" and tap "Call"
Select "Call rejection" > "Auto reject list" > "Create"
Tap the "Contacts" icon"
From here, perform one of the following: To enter the number manually: Type in the number.

How-to: Samsung Galaxy S5: Block Calls & Texts - Cell Phone Forums
https://cellphoneforums.net/samsung-galaxy/t370982-samsung-galaxy-s5-block-calls-tex...

Wishfull said:
Thanks Jaros.
I have put the 8818 number on the Auto Reject list
and ticked the Unknown box for the Auto Reject as well. I hope this works. It's damn well p%%@g me off especially when I'm doing something I want to finish and these numbers or lack of a number comes up.
Pain in the bum alright!!! Hope it works to block the calls for you.
Please let us know how you get on Wishy. :Y:

Get hold of an umpires whistle, when you answer, let them ask your name and then blow the whistle as hard as you can, I doubt they will ring again as there ears will be ringing for a week!

Hi again.
Just tried Google again on that 88189739051 number
And got a site that said . Do not answer overseas scam.
And this.

1519017067_screenshot_2018-02-19-15-31-45.jpg

Oh okay. That good info thanks Maldon GC.
Haven't had any more calls this afternoon but the day isn't over yet.

You gotta love this forum.
I had a PM from 2 prominent membes offering suggestions about this. You know who you are. Thanks fellas. And to everyone one else.

Just hope what I have done works this time.

We have a landline, cordless phone with digital display. It is a new number when we took the service over in our name from my wife's mother.

It is also a silent number i.e. not in the White Pages. The wife, neighbour across the road (long time friend) and one friend of the wife's and myself are the only one's with the number. Shortly after it was connected we started getting phone calls from either, blocked numbers, or from what might be a PABX. For pretty much the whole of 2017.

Our answer; The base station is also an answering machine, it is permanently on to screen calls. If either of the 2 friends call their number displays, or if when I'm out detecting, I ring home, my number displays. If either the friends or I call it, we will leave a message.

These crank calls don't. We also turned the ring volume to it's lowest setting as sometimes the calls came in in the early hours.

Next, my wife was getting calls 2-3 times a day on her mobile, the prefix was either 7 or 8 and no one ever leaves a message. I also get the occasional one.

So with mobiles, if it is a friend, their number is in my contacts list and it displays (same for the wife). If the number is not recognised or silent, we don't answer. If it's important they'll leave a message if it's a scam they don't.

As I have an alarm clock by the bed, we both turn our mobiles off before turning in, so no disturbance overnight.

N.B. Silent numbers, PABX calls that show "Private" etc on any mobile phone or landline with a digital display CAN'T be Blocked.

Just phone the telecommunications ombudsmen they will make your communications supplier shit bricks until it's all fixed up for you. :Y:

Latest posts