Pommy immigrant..

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all!

Moving to Warragul (Vic) at the end of the year and looking to try my hand at detecting and panning in your incredible country.

Have had a few panning adventures in the past and some detecting on beaches, but would love to take up the hunt for shiny stuff and combine it with some camping and fishing (if the woman allows!!!).

Any advice/tips/off-putting stories would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

Welcome owenh1,

Although you're arriving 170 years late for the gold rush plugging Gippsland Gold into your search engine will keep you busy researching and dreaming until you touch down in the "lucky country". Also look at Trove Newspapers http://trove.nla.gov.au/ From the newspapers you'll learn which creeks were "rushed" and when, how much gold was there and whether it was fine, shotty or coarse and in many cases how much the "stripping" was ie how far you had to dig down to where the gold deposit was. The newspaper reports on one of the creeks I frequent (in Gippsland and I always take home gold from there) said that it was so abundant with alluvial (gold) but with water so scarce, the diggers only bothered with (ie retrieved) the "tolerably" sized pieces (probably pickers and nuggets) and the smaller nuisance stuff was simply tipped back into the creek. I'm sure you'll have many questions...
casper

owenh1 said:
Hi all!

Moving to Warragul (Vic) at the end of the year and looking to try my hand at detecting and panning in your incredible country.

Have had a few panning adventures in the past and some detecting on beaches, but would love to take up the hunt for shiny stuff and combine it with some camping and fishing (if the woman allows!!!).

Any advice/tips/off-putting stories would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!
Watch out for these.
1503755192_1503125328_images_8.jpg

1503755226_1503124691_images-132.jpg

Thanks for the welcome! Fortunately I've done a couple of years in the territory/broken hill a while back so have come across many a giant drop bear....!

Excited to get researching such a great historical event as the gold rush, and hope to learn a lot from people on here to maybe find a bit of my own that the old timers missed.

Latest posts