Platinum or silver.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Went out with my 705 today around Adelaide, in a park and around some old gravel, got this rock.

Almost chucked it away thinking hot rock, and I decided to brake open.

It's pretty heavy for its size, no scales though.

Any clue? Sorry bout photo quality.
1415188244_image.jpg
1415188266_image.jpg

Looks like really old lead. Some real old lead can go a bit weird at times. Might be but who knows!?

Mate if it were Platinum it would be very heavy like Gold, actually Platinum is heavier. You could try a specific gravity test, if it is a Platinum Group Metal or an alloy of PGM's it will still be very heavy and very hard. PGM's take a high temperature to melt.

Simple SG test. http://johnbetts-fineminerals.com/jhbnyc/articles/specific_gravity.htm

Platinum is found in Australia and so are a few other PGM's, it is quite rare though. There is an alluvial Platinum mine in NSW near Condobolin, also a few other deposits of PGM's in beach sand and with some Gold deposits. An example is Osmiridium in Tasmania in alluvial deposits.

Looks very much like Galena to me too,
if it is, it is lead ore, + silver
silver is slightly more heave than lead, hints why you may get a slightly higher gravity test.

I'm going to throw in my two specks worth and call it a zinc or zinc bronze alloy perhaps. It would explain the shine, the grain, the shape, the shine and higher reading. What sort of flame did you use? Chuck a grinder on it and tell me how or if it sparks and I'll put you in the ball park. These pesky non discript metals usually don't need too much to decipher. Spark test is the quick way home. The fact it was so close to civilisation I'm guessing it's not too exotic.

axtyr said:
If you remove that crap off the top I think you'll find it's a one dollar coin. Definitely aluminium bronze.

Ha! You made me LOL mate! People around me wondering about my sanity.

Latest posts