Places to camp/fossick near ACT?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Looking to go away for a few days holiday and wanted to be able to take the metal detector with me to spend a few days out fossicking. We're in Canberra so I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for places within 2-3 hour drives where we could camp for a few days and have places to go out looking? Thanks in advance for any help

google search free camping probably won't have info on gold prospecting and if its a national park its out of the question, nearest free camp with gold is oallen ford east from goulburne nerrigundah is near bate mans bay alluvial gold but not sure of prospecting status

Mogo
25 Kilometers South of Batemans Bay for detecting.
Plenty of bullet shells and gold to keep you occupied.
Oallen Ford for alluvial sluicing/HighBanking.

Thanks guys, looking like I might head down to Mogo/Batemans Bay area in early October then. Any particular area I should be heading towards?

Area is well known so I have no qualms on telling you where to go. :)
(That come out a bit wrong. :8 )
Just North of Mogo is Runnyford Road.
Aprox 5 kilometers down the road to your left is full of diggings. It is State Forest and you will
need a permit.
You will know that you are in the area as Forestry has been fencing the old shafts and drives off.
Still, Be warned. There are open shafts level with the ground that are deep and at times, Hard
to see.

Going camping with the family next weekend at Wee Jasper. Does anyone know if the area past Wee Jasper is still open to the public? Went out there about a year ago, was hoping to go back again and have a closer look around

Latest posts