Picked up some contract work :-)

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AngerManagement

Repairs + X-pointers
Site Sponsor
Reaction score
What can I say, not much due to any number of requirements of the job.

1: A month plus of paper work and licences, insurance's and more insurance and ref checks etc etc

2: Then a 64 page short form contract with every escape clause you could think of; for them !!!

3: As a sole trader, it can become a bit of a mine field as big companies automatically assume your also a company or what ever.

4: First report delivered before the deadline, invoice submitted and 3 levels of approval have to be done by the client to approve payment - 60 day settlement, post sign off !!!

First week of work done in mid December and Second week finished and report provided, now about the start the 3rd week and well behind the 8 ball as to cash flow... Will finish the 3 rd week of work ( they are about 10 days apart) b4 any $$$ come in...

After the 4th and final week, I will come home and kiss the wife and promise to not do it again. The $ may not be that bad, but the overheads and paperwork and having to deal with some that have no clue AND not interested in learning or understanding, just does my head in.

Next time I will include 35 pages of my own terms and conditions pertaining to my specific every day needs /requirements :) A table/chair/AirCon secure environment, 240v power ( my inverter did not like the heat, but the solar keep the battery up), network access without 1001 blocks etc etc. AND double the rate :)

And a big shout out to Miners den in Brisbane.. Ray in Service, did a good job of getting a DOA up and running in quick time and that will save me some sweat and tears next week.

PS. XChange2 is a tad clunky but the Xchange2 Extended app, saved the day. And NearMaps is too expensive for the odd job and not quite the coverage outside of major centres...

Stay safe and swing low and slow in the heat...

1548941199_2019-01-24_09.58.30_medium.jpg

And I missed my BB Bees, but good to see that the heat has not had a negative impact upon them.

1548941199_2019-01-30_19.46.53_medium.jpg

Sandta said:
8 detectors ?!!?

7 on site and would love to try a GPZ7000 can not afford to buy one, and impossible where I am to hire one. And while I have attempted to borrow one, that is also something I am not happy with. Am surprised how well the SDC 2300 manages, shame it does not have GPS tracking like the CTX3030 or GPZ7000.

But working on options, always options.

Sandta said:
Sounds like an epic task

Epic is an understatement and the documentation and risk management is extreme.

To put it into some level of context, think countermine and an extremely large area.

Sandta said:
Shame to hear the sad reality. :(

Lets be honest :)

When one looks at going after some good quality gold: Licenses / Permissions / Vehicles / Equipment etc and extended time or 2 months plus in the bush it is not all fun and games and if you break even and or get to make wages. Then that is a great outcome.

I will make wages and not have to put up with much of the physical discomforts/isolation; but the friggin paperwork and ass covering is nightmare.

At end of the day, it will keep the wolf from the door and I will gain a level of exposure/experience, that not many others get an opportunity to. And with some luck in the future, maybe I can be smarter about future type opportunities. Looking at an option in NZ but would mean an extended time away from home. Plus all the good looking sheep have been taken :)

So can you make wages from swinging a metal detector ? If you are lucky, but it does not come pain / stress free.

PS. Still hope to just stumble across that good sub surface 1kg nugget that every one else though was a lump of scrap - Now that would be good :) But not going to happen on this site.

Hearing ya. But I think it's becoming the new norm.

I picked up contract work last year. Same thing. Ton paper work - 8 pages of paper work for every job(SWMS). That could be 5 jobs a day. The right insurances. Some of what I'm asked to do was just stupid - give a report on pre operational checks of tools including such tools as screw drivers (their example). I don't even know how to do that. How do you do a pre operational check on a screwdriver?
The correct clothing and a ton of checks finished off with a load of inductions.
I initially turned it down and walked because I'm a fixer, not a pen pusher. Then they made an offer higher than I normally charge. I then said I would do a trial run.
All I did after that, was get the clothing, insurances, initial paperwork. That was it. They have never asked for any other paper work since. No inductions, no SWMS - nothing but a better rate for old rope. So I got lucky.

Probably many are used to it but I'm not. I don't do paper work.

It really doesn't encourage independents to take work on but it's the new norm. :(

Hi AM. Are you able to say what it is you are looking for or is that 'on a needs to know basis'?

I just assume you are not looking for gold considering you are using CTX?

And are you working alone or with others? I just have a mental picture of you swinging 7 detectors around the scrub like a crazy detectoro-pus :lol:

Northeast said:
Hi AM. Are you able to say what it is you are looking for or is that 'on a needs to know basis'?

I just assume you are not looking for gold considering you are using CTX?

And are you working alone or with others? I just have a mental picture of you swinging 7 detectors around the scrub like a crazy detectoro-pus :lol:

Security is such I can not say much. Think counter mine and Federal and a large area.

Am using the SDC2300 as an audit machine but still trying to get a GPZ7000.

Swinging 2 machines and trying to educate a couple of others. But the project manager thinks 2 days will turn them into fully competent Detectrists..... conditions that bad it is like swinging over a shooting range and looking for a special bit of lead. ALL ABOUT TONE AND picking the target .

Every day is pics / geo data and pages of reports.

60hrs so far tweaking and checking settings and trying to get somthing that is consistant.

Next week the fun starts....

Mr Magoo

I hear you, so much paperwork and all to cover other peoples asses.

As another contractor said, they pay us to cover their incompetency.

But then expect us to do it with our hands tied behind our backs.

Would be better working conditions in the highlands of PNG.

But, it pays... and more than I have found over the last 2 years.

Yep! Pretty well sums it up.
Can't really add anymore to what you are saying but's it bureaucracy going mad. One site I went to wanted medical details. WTF?
Anyway AM after a few days break I'm sure things will look and feel better. :Y:

Fair enough. Sounds interesting and frustrating at the same time.

Cool that you can earn some coin working with/teaching detecting.

Best of luck with it :Y:

Too many shiny assed pen pushers with useless letters following their names on their embossed business cards, sitting in ivory towers with no concept of what being on the ground and actually doing something is all about :( . Welcome to the world of buckpassing :mad:

AngerManagement said:
What can I say, not much due to any number of requirements of the job.

1: A month plus of paper work and licences, insurance's and more insurance and ref checks etc etc

2: Then a 64 page short form contract with every escape clause you could think of; for them !!!

3: As a sole trader, it can become a bit of a mine field as big companies automatically assume your also a company or what ever.

4: First report delivered before the deadline, invoice submitted and 3 levels of approval have to be done by the client to approve payment - 60 day settlement, post sign off !!!

The higher pay is the incentive, the paper work becomes more automatic with time, but all of us sole traders in mining/exploration go through what you have experienced. Be assertive, have YOUR contract not theirs - as experience grows you are more in demand. I've been at it since 1994 and I set up youngsters in it. Make sure you charge adequately for your time, travel, things like vehicle mileage and expenses. Junior companies tend to be more flexible than majors.

AngerManagement said:
Mr Magoo

I hear you, so much paperwork and all to cover other peoples asses.

As another contractor said, they pay us to cover their incompetency.

But then expect us to do it with our hands tied behind our backs.

Would be better working conditions in the highlands of PNG.

But, it pays... and more than I have found over the last 2 years.
But do use some of that pay to get Public Liabilty Insurance and write the cost into your charge-out rate. Otherwise you can carry the can when an exhaust starts a grassfire in a farmers paddock etc.

Dihusky said:
Too many shiny assed pen pushers with useless letters following their names on their embossed business cards, sitting in ivory towers with no concept of what being on the ground and actually doing something is all about :( . Welcome to the world of buckpassing :mad:
I've found that it is not as simple as that - modern OH&S etc demands more managers (and they absorb a lot of paperwork that we don't see and would not want). Often when a contractor makes a mistake they will cover in practice and even absorb resulting expenses. Just get a good relationship going, and don't stick with difficult clients once you are not starving.

Public Liability / Professional and Product as well.. Then add in Income and Accident protecting and Super.

Then run into issues as to Tax... Yep, consulting or teaching is classed as IP and thus different tax rules... Opps, teach = Never :)

I demonstrate while performing work and the others follow, monkey see - monkey do. Thus perform work and not Teach :)

I provide access to Data and Information and the students then gather it up and make informed decision as to how to use the equipment... While watching me work and just to keep it real; I make lots of mistakes and SOMETIMES hope the do not spot it LOL.

AngerManagement said:
Public Liability / Professional and Product as well.. Then add in Income and Accident protecting and Super.

Then run into issues as to Tax... Yep, consulting or teaching is classed as IP and thus different tax rules... Opps, teach = Never :)

I demonstrate while performing work and the others follow, monkey see - monkey do. Thus perform work and not Teach :)

I provide access to Data and Information and the students then gather it up and make informed decision as to how to use the equipment... While watching me work and just to keep it real; I make lots of mistakes and SOMETIMES hope the do not spot it LOL.
IP? Not clear how the tax rules are different.

AngerManagement said:

Sounds like you need to step into my office re the above issues ;)

Yep, the flow charts for PSI Vs PSB VS ??????

https://www.ato.gov.au/uploadedFiles/Content/MEI/downloads/Working_out_if_the_PSI_rules_apply.pdf

And then as a Sole Trader contracting to ????

Best example was that of a Consultant providing IP (knowledge etc doing a lecture) Vs actually doing work and or spending $ on software or hardware. Just does my head in. The links and ATO refrance one bit after another and loop back and forth..

Would rather swing a CTX 3030 across a Bunnings carpark, with my eyes closed...

https://www.ato.gov.au/business/personal-services-income/

Just means I have to spend more $ to keep the ATO off my back..

AngerManagement said:
Yep, the flow charts for PSI Vs PSB VS ??????

https://www.ato.gov.au/uploadedFiles/Content/MEI/downloads/Working_out_if_the_PSI_rules_apply.pdf

And then as a Sole Trader contracting to ????

Best example was that of a Consultant providing IP (knowledge etc doing a lecture) Vs actually doing work and or spending $ on software or hardware. Just does my head in. The links and ATO refrance one bit after another and loop back and forth..

Would rather swing a CTX 3030 across a Bunnings carpark, with my eyes closed...

https://www.ato.gov.au/business/personal-services-income/

Just means I have to spend more $ to keep the ATO off my back..
The ATO website is not the best place to figure out where you fit into the scheme of things , nor can you rely on it as a defence because they often get things wrong . It all depends what your contract says . There are several tests that will determine if your psi or a psb . If you need help feel free to send a pm .

Kind regards

Danny13

I may well send you a PM, when back home as out on site again.

Do not expect full taxation advice, but a few clues as to what I should look out for or how I might choose to go psi or psb. May save me some pain.

Do not have an issue paying tax, but do not like to pay excess for no good reason.

Thanks for the offer as always good to know the fourm members and some of their skill sets. We have to lookout for each other as no one else will.

AM

Latest posts