Palmer River Qld region information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, I am looking to get out on the Easter break and would like to find out where a newbie can go and not get into trouble with the locals...

I am thinking of heading to Palmer river area, anyone have any tips for a newbie?

Thanks

Tone

Hey Tone,
If you go to the roadhouse, ask Andy or Karen there and for just $5 a day I think, you can go over to Maitland downs across the road. John owns the station.
I would try to head NW up near Spear creek. Take note there are a couple of leases and claims up there.

Gedday there TenOunce, old mate above gives good advice .. Karen & Andrew from the Palmer River Roadhouse (along with a few colourful characters who spend time in the bar) are great contacts to get to know the area .. Great tucker and really cold beer too .. Good, inexpensive camping and facilities as well.

The Roadhouse itself is right on the the old 'River of Gold', and with the rain we've had over past months the, the old girl has been given a good work-over .. I'd even just walk down to the river bed there, and have a go panning around any exposed rock bars. If you've got an old yabby pump and a sieve .. Never know what's (not yabbies, mate) sitting deeper under the gravels.

Good luck!

Gday Palmer and Gold Miner,
I have been making a few inquires into the Palmer area, seems the Maitland Downs is closed to prospectors, If you can help a newbie out with some other suggestions, feel free to pm me or email.. all info is valuable.

Ok, John is a cattleman and you will rarely get him on the phone during the day.
Leave a message, and I suppose he will ring you back if he wishes??!

Thanks GM. hey do you know how i can find out more about palmer river resource reserve and where the claims are up there. dont want to tread on toes...

You could go to the mines dept in Mareeba and ask for a print out of Merlin showing the R16, the leases and EPM's.
I know people do go up there and poach but please be advised that there is no detecting allowed in the R16 and the whole area is covered by either active leases or EPM's. As you would be aware, almost a year ago, we lost a good miner mate who was shot dead for detecting in the wrong place up here....

I am flying up to Cairns for a holiday early August and intend to take a pan as we will be driving through the Palmer gold region on the way to Cooktown.
Can anyone suggest where we can try our luck in the rivers?
JML

Good Luck with prospecting at Palmer River a lot of gold still to be found. Passed through Palmer River a couple of days ago = can recommend the Palmer River special steak sanger from the roadhouse damn good feed. No luck with the Gold or Topaz though. Would be worth staying for a day or so there are a couple of prospectors in the caravan park behind the roadhouse that are having some luck.

That gives me something to work with. Thanks for the reply. We are in a camper van so we will take an opportunity to stay a night out the back of the road house and bail up some of the locals for tips on where to pan... nicely of course. Regards

Gedday There Folks .. Well, just in case any of you may have been planning a trip into the Palmer River area over the Easter holiday break or anytime during the next few weeks or more .... Forget it! .. Make other plans!

For all of my fellow PA member chums who would like to see what the Palmer looks like when she's really up and running, hear you go ..... Here's what the northern side of the road bridge just below the Palmer River Roadhouse looked like at about 5:30 yesterday arvo after Cyclone Ita dropped in for smoko! .. It's a bit over 9 metres from the centre of the bridge to the river bed below, just in case you were wondering.

Many thanks to Jordan for taking the pics, Andrew and Karen from the Palmer River Roadhouse, and Cheryl and Jack Fitzgerald for sent them out to friends and neighbours.

Regards to all from The Digger.

1397356458_image.jpg

1397356459_image.jpg

I'm spending time with the boss and the kids over easter as I've been working in mackay for the last 4 weeks. So I'll only be home for a week then back in mackay for 3 more weeks.
So I should be able to come up for a week in about 2 months. And I'll drag the other PA fnq members with me.
Just make sure you have the camp fire ready.

Great looking photos tho. Cheers for the update.

Latest posts