Palmer river ... Back from trip...

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Had a nice time up ther... Was really interesting seeing the old mines and crushing gear. Would have been a task to get that stuff out there . Maytown was nice , had a beer at the hotel ( what's left of it ) . Saw some poachers , dirt bikes really quiet, covered faces , no helmet , and no mood to talk! Just left rooster tails! Guess the fact they saw us in a late model 4wd ( hired and pretty blingy) both days , maybe they thought we where onto them.
All in all, we had a bit of a pan and found heaps of little flakey bits. Couldnt really see the best areas for detecting , and those that we did had a heap of rubbish. Was very surprised at the lack of wildlife anywhere out that way, bow can stay at home next time. Didnt think I was going to end up there so didnt really do any research , which dosnt help. That and the guy that was supposed to let us on his property didnt seem to make it back from the weeding we all were there for ... Anyway , will always be another time :)

Sorry to hear your trip didnt go as planned, good that you found a few flakes still hiding. Not so good that you ran into some unsavoury types, given the vast areas out there and how dry its been this year its a wonder you ran into anyone.
Did you get through to Maytown from the north or south?

Yeah wanderer
Came from the south , had to visit a friend at the supermax, then we ended up that way . Was going to go go to mt mulligan , but we where talking an laughing so missed the turnoff. So went to palmer instead . We are just out to have fun! If I want heaps of gold , I can go to my mates property and get an ounce a day.... But I know it's there so isn't fun... That's work.
And wouldn't say I met unsavoury types , they where doing thier thing and chatting to me defiantly wasn't one of them!
Hear a lot about palmer gold ... And from that , your not going to find it on the reserve...
Cheers

Fair enough, you just cant tell sometimes.
Poaching is still a much bigger problem than most people think in Australia, so much so I know of a few properties up here that have free roaming cattle across land that has public use roads on it where the lease-holder has been forced to install camouflaged cameras to catch poachers and some sick people who like to maim or slaughter cattle for fun.
Good that you got a few flakes on the reserve, it means that others will have too. Most of the fun of heading out to Maytown is about the trip there and the memories made.
Not meaning to cast a bad light on secretive trail bike riders either, some people are just happy doing their own thing which is fine. Its just the odd people who want to drive all over the place, light fires and not watch them then pack up and leave their garbage behind that cause the problems and force councils/landowners to kick everyone out.

Yeah, I hear you....
Though don't think these guys where out to maim cattle , unless they wanted to swing their detectors at them! Speaking of swinging , where do most people detect or used to detect? So much junk around the mines , and may town , although I met a guy that says he finds relics there. Guess its been flogged but out of interest was wondering now I've seen the place as to whereabouts they would of done well?
And your right , it was all about the journey and a bit of rubbernecking , not any real time for prospect anyways , was good to see....

Hi there. I was at Maytown this week. Unlike most, we came in from the north on the Old Coach Road from Laura and didn't see a sole. The Palmer River Rush covered over 50 miles of the Palmer River and adjoining creeks so if relic hunting is your thing then the diggings away from Maytown would be a better choice. The junk around Maytown itself would drive you mad although you don't have to go very far to get away from it. Remember, at it's height roughly 22.000 people were in the Palmer fields so they would have been spread over quite some area.
Fossicking and prospecting on the Palmer River Gold Reserve is prohibited so if the bike riders you saw were doing a bit of hunting that might explain their shyness but there is a lot of country that is not part of the reserve that would be worth looking at. You would need a well set up 4WD as the track deteriorates very quickly once you get a bit north of Maytown.
The area itself is great with nice rugged country and great scenery. I have been there a few times now and this last week was the first time I have seen the Palmer without any water in it. Just goes to show what I a dry year we have had.

Wow!
Hope there was some water left for he fish!
Think I saw bony bream, sooty grunter , khaki bream, longtom , freshwater flounder, archer fish, targets, spangled grunter, barcoo, and sleepy cod.
Was like an aquarium .... Guess they where getting concentrated, hope theres a bit too let them make it through.
We where thinking about going through the north , but as is aboriginal land , wasn't sure if permit needed. So left the way we came...

Very true Franrick, it is oficially prohibited on the reserve however 'Discouraged' would probably be a better description. Most people who head to Maytown are campers and 4wdrivers rather than prospectors. Yes the land to the north does have a large aboriginal land reserve, the Old Coach Rd is still a state road though un-maintained or sealed hence the 4wd only and seasonal dependant labels. Not the best idea to travel it without a second vehicle, a good level of 4wd knowledge and about 8 hours or so to spare. :eek:
Better spots for detecting are Mt Mulligan or the Hodgkinson goldfields. The South Palmer and Mc Leod rivers have been known to give up a little gold from time to time too providing you can find an area not under claim or exploration rights or private property...
Mostly the gold found up here is alluvial so digging, sifting, washing is the norm but you just never know which is half fun. :D

Latest posts