PA UHF Channel

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Afternoon fellow Prospectors

Just pondering the lint in my navel over a burbon, and the notion of proposing a Prospecting Australia UHF channel appeared as an apperition. If adopted it would provide both a means by a which a member could inform others on his presence on a prospecting field, but more importantly would provide a possible safety net for those that prospect alone. I leave the debate to the embers on the pro's and con's.

Happy Australia Day one and all.

ChrisM said:
Great idea there Loamer.
Be interested to hear some points of view from other members.
Pick a number
In WA a lot use the caravan channel (28) but most use a channel that has no traffic so communication are private. ie With a rhino650 using text messages to enabled recipients.

Great idea. Have to get a set of portables. Anyone got any recommendations for decent range. I would go a Motorola or codan but they cost a packet

Cheers, Tone

Something I know something about, I've been using CB since the mid 70s, but lets skip fwd a few decades to now.
What to know about UHF handhelds;
1. They come in a variety of power outputs ranging from 0.5 watts to 5 watts (the max legal output for CB)
2. The 3 common Brandname brands used are Uniden, GME and Icom. Icom is probably the best quality and also the most expensive. Uniden and GME are more like the Holden/Ford of UHF.
3. My experience is that when on they sometimes interfere with a detector's signal, so check it works and switch off until needed or hang it from a tree or at least clip it on you as far from the coil and control box as your body allows.

I have owned and still do 2 GME 1 watt replace the battery cheapies and recently a Uniden 5 Watt. They all work well. The difference in wattage is that on the same ground, the higher the wattage the greater the transmit distance. However as they are line of sight, topography has an effect on range also. The recieve is much the same regardless of wattage ie; if someone like me transmits using 5 watts and you are several kms away with a 1 watt UHF, don't be surprised if you recieve me but can't get through to me.

So from your own safetys point of view you usually do the calling not the listening.

More in the next post

The GME 1 watt have a belt clip, which like a lot of these things are a pig to get off the belt when you need to. Plus with pick and other stuff there's already a bit on the belt already. However, the Uniden I have (also with a belt clip) has an extension mic/spkr I use. I also carry a bum bag or a camelback that I can put the radio in and then feed the extension mic/spkr to my harness on the opposite side to the detector bungy.

The Uniden also has a Li rechargable battery ( I also have a spare) and with modest transmit use it lasts all day.

As with most things, you get what you pay for, but I could not see the point in paying several $100s more for the Icom for casual ametuer use.

Next = Channel use

Channel Use

Rather than list all 80 channels here's a link to a web list

http://www.uhfcb.com.au/80-Channel-UHF-Information.php

The important ones to note are;

Channel 5 476.5250 Duplex Repeater Output (Emergency use only)
Channel 10 476.6500 Simplex 4WD Drivers - Convoy, Clubs & National Parks
Channel 11 476.6750 Simplex Call Channel
Channel 16 476.8000 Simplex Sometimes used by 4x4
Channel 18 476.8500 Simplex Caravan & Campers Convoy Channel (mainly caravans)
Channel 20 476.9000 Simplex CMCA - Motorhomes
Channel 40 477.4000 Simplex Highway Channel (commonly called the Truckers channel)

So, my suggestion would be Ch 10 or Ch 16

My reason being that all channels are open to anyone listening and not everyone has a the new 80 Channel rigs.

But the main reason is, that as prospectors we are out bush and sometimes remote, so, there's more chance of a 4x4 being close enough than there is a caravan, motorhome or B Double if you needed help.

Hello all,
to have a selected channel for use by PA members is a good suggestion.
One down from the call channel would be the easiest; could be used for early ID to a site or for safety reasons.
Camping overnight there could be members close by and with the pre-chosen channel pooling resources at camp could end up in lasting friendship.
My two bobs worth.

Peter.

TenOunce Tone said:
Great idea. Have to get a set of portables. Anyone got any recommendations for decent range. I would go a Motorola or codan but they cost a packet

Cheers, Tone

hey tone, save your coin, go the rhino deal at johnnyappleseed, 2 rhino 650 for 599.00, you get a full 5 watt 80 channel uhf plus a full functioning gps, plus if you have a pair, if you register them with each other, you every time you call the other one, once registered it will store the location of your contacts, and if they don't answer you can poll their radio for their location, excellent if you have a partner, if one gets into trouble you can locate them. Bought the kids a boxer pup a year ago he loves to come out, but as a pup he wonders off and does come back if he's called, so I had a leather collar and pouch made for him, and stick a rhino in it, if he doesn't come I just poll his location and the rhino shows his location to me on the screen. Great of night for entertainment, screwing with his head if I call his name on the radio, or bark. Boxers are living proof you can live without a brain.

Village said:
TenOunce Tone said:

Cheers, Tone

hey tone, save your coin, go the rhino deal at johnnyappleseed, 2 rhino 650 for 599.00, you get a full 5 watt 80 channel uhf plus a full functioning gps, plus if you have a pair, if you register them with each other, you every time you call the other one, once registered it will store the location of your contacts, and if they don't answer you can poll their radio for their location, excellent if you have a partner, if one gets into trouble you can locate them. Bought the kids a boxer pup a year ago he loves to come out, but as a pup he wonders off and does come back if he's called, so I had a leather collar and pouch made for him, and stick a rhino in it, if he doesn't come I just poll his location and the rhino shows his location to me on the screen. Great of night for entertainment, screwing with his head if I call his name on the radio, or bark. Boxers are living proof you can live without a brain.

I have 3 Rhinos (my oldest son has the 4TH) for over 2 years now. The best equipment I have had so far. Last well over a full day when left on all day, using GPS and 5 Watt CB. The wife (prospecting partner) is happy to wander a lot more than previously with other gear, knowing she can find me or I find her if lost or incapacitated. The spare is left on in the 4x4 so can be found even if moved to a close location if a patch is found.

I have 2 of these, they cover all 80 channel CB as well as amateur frequencies (I am licensed , VK2DLI is my call), dual receivers and 4W output , comes with programming software and the amateur bands can be locked out which I recommend , I suggest that the ACMA will take a dim view if caught on Amateur bands, fine can be hefty . Battery life is fantastic and comes with hands free cable and earpiece/mic as well. I have used these for a couple of years now with no problem.

1390891698_03.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BaoFeng-UV-...TMF-CTCSS-DCS-FM-ham-2way-radio-/310647318579

The question was raised previously so I thought I'd put it to you guys. Do you want to agree on a UHF channel that can be used to contact fellow members out in the field? If so, what channel would be suitable.

Cheers,
Nugget

We have always used Ch 18 but not sure if it's still a quiet channel. Maybe we need to pick a few different ones and listen to them In different states/areas to pick a quiet one.
Sounds good nugget'

I think preferably we'll try and pick one channel to prevent confusion, maybe once members have made contact they could switch over to a quieter channel? I'm just thinking along the lines of someone pulling into an area and jumping on the air waves asking if any other members are in the area etc.

Nuggett, Channel 10 is used by 4WD Drivers - Convoy, Clubs & National Parks.
" " 18 " " " Caravan & Campers Convoy Channel
We could use Channels 14 or 15 as they are not in the way or near to other "occupied" channels.
If either was busy you can swap to the alternative??
Jack

Nugget FYI
Channels 1 thru 8 are Duplex
Channel 5 is Emergency use only
Channel 10 is 4WD convoy, clubs and National Parks
Channel 11 is the Call Channel
Channel 18 is Caravan and Campers
Channel 20 is usually CMCA and Motorhomes
Channel 22 & 23 are Data Only
Channel 29 is Pacific & Bruce Hwy Road Channels
Channel 30 is UHF CB Broadcast (emergeny early warning)
Channels 31 thru 38 are Duplex repeater input
Channel 40 is Truckers Highway Channel

on 80 Channel

Channels 41 thru 48 are Duplex
Channel 61, 62 & 63 are reserved for future expansion
Channels 71 thru 78 are Duplex repeater input

As some people still use 40 channel rigs, I would suggest 41 thru 80 not be selected from.

Truckers generally slip down 1 to chat on 39. Caravans & Motorhomes slip up or down likewise to 17, 19 & 21

That leaves 9, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 24, 25, 26, 27 & 28.

My vote goes Ch 25 it's clear of most of the rest.

Thanks heaps guys. If no one here objects to channel 25 than we might use that.

Latest posts